cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterbrazier86
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Bt OpenReach and BT Customer services: Problem with Master socket

After spending a good few hours on the phone to BT regarding their intermittent BT Total Broadband they have arranged for a BT OpenReach engineer to visit my home today.

My house is a new build and when OpenReach first deployed telephone lines into the area they used a grey box attached to the outside of my house as the master socket and then connected this to my internal sockets. The Engineer today has informed me that they are having issues regarding the grey box outside and that they need to put a master socket inside my house.

My question really is on the phone to BT they informed me that any work that needs to be carried out within my home would come at a £99 charge. Will this be applicable to OpenReach adding a master socket (After the engineer has already blamed the grey box outside) and if so should I really be responsible for this?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Bt OpenReach and BT Customer services: Problem with Master socket

the fitting should be free and they no longer fit the grey box outside - it is not compatible with infinity and the solution is to fit new master in the home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
peterbrazier86
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

When did they stop fitting grey boxes outside the house? My house was built in Sept 2011. Maybe thats why all the roads surrounding us have BT Infinity and we dont 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

as far as I know the just rewire the conenction in the grey box to make it like a junction box and then master internal.  that is unlikely to be reason for no infinity as engineer would just do the fix.

check your phone number here https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html   you may be on a different cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
peterbrazier86
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTCUp to 55.7Up to 18--30-Jun-13
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2.5--1 to 4Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------30-Jun-13

The website says June 2013 for Infinity on my phone number but Oct 2013 to March 2014 on my house number/postcode :S

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

looks like FTTC imminent for you just keep checking until it says available.  phone number is more accurate than postcode as it is possible a postcode is served by more than one cabinet

0 Ratings
peterbrazier86
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Strange just checked my friends number in the road next to mine and it says 14 March 2014 from same cabinet.

I have attached a photo of why this is so strange that we dont have it. Pink area has infinity.

Fibre location

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

as 27/6 now the available 30/6 seems unlikely but it can't be far off just keep checking

peterbrazier86
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Thank you so much for your help.
0 Ratings
peterbrazier86
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

They must of know I was looking into this

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTCUp to 55.7Up to 18--31-Mar-14
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2.5--1 to 4Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------31-Mar-14

My date has now changed from June 2013 to March 2014 😞

0 Ratings