Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Bt Vision box and netgear switch

Go to solution

Hi Folks

Got a bit of a problem using the BT vision box (the smaller one without hard drive) and a netgear switch GS108.

Connects fine and able to use web apps like iplayer but the BT channels (Sports) are now scrambled.

Without the switch its fine

I want to use the switch to plug in my bluray player etc as wireless not so good

Setup

BT Home Hub ----- BT Powerline adapter - - - BT Powerline Slave--------BT Vision box       [ALL FINE]

BT Home Hub ----- BT Powerline adapter - - - BT Powerline Slave--------Netgear GS108-------BT Vision box [Web apps fine, but no Sports channels]

Any suggestions

Cheers

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt Vision box and netgear switch

Go to solution

You can only have one powerline adapter connected to the home hub, that will be the master. All others must be slaved off that master unit. You will run the risk of an Ethernet bridge otherwise.

Is the GS108 a GS108E (The managed version?)

The managed version needs to have IGMP snooping enabled on the port, to allow multicast streams to pass through.

Have you tried a different switch?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply - I have correct my first post - there was a master and slave powerline not two masters.

The Netgear Switch is  the unmanaged so no settings to get to...

Dont have access to another one as yet to try.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Most switches will pass all traffic to the appropiate MAC address, but I am not sure about multicast traffic.

I have a GS108E version, and that has specific settings to snoop on multicast packets.

gs108e.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I use TP-Link switches for both my Youview boxes & internet channels are fine and both of those are fed from an 8 port switch connected to my router. The connection between switches is now ethernet but it was previously working fine with TP-Link adapters.

My son has a Netgear GS105 & that is also fine and that's connected by TP-Link powerline adapters so maybe just some issue with the BT ones.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replys

picked up a netgear GS105E for only £18 and now it all works fine (didnt have to change any settings, worked straight away) My old GS108 didnt have the snoop thing or access to settings (unmanaged)

Cheers to Keith_Beddoe for the info

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@tarelus wrote:

Thanks for all the replys

picked up a netgear GS105E for only £18 and now it all works fine (didnt have to change any settings, worked straight away) My old GS108 didnt have the snoop thing or access to settings (unmanaged)

Cheers to Keith_Beddoe for the info

Thanks

I thought that would fix the problem, managed switches are much more intelligent that basic ones. The GS105E is very flexible, and has QOS and rate limiting options, as well as Virtual LANs.

Virtual LAN are useful if you want to isolate part of your network,  from the Internet, but still allow it to communicate with other devices on your LAN.

You can have a guest network with Internet access, but no access to any other device on your LAN.

Rate limiting is useful if you have a user or device hogging all of the bandwidth, you can restrict them as low as 512Kbs, to give the a taste of what ADSL used to be like Smiley Wink

0 Ratings