Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 41

Re: Bt Yahoo Mail will not work in australia

@apauza wrote:

Hi Andy

On the Win 7 pc I'm pretty sure we used

bt.yahoo.com

but on the Mac we used

@UK.yahoo.com and the @btintrnet.com extention of the email address.

It was exactly the same javascript error  msg for both.

It just seems odd that the error is tied to the user, not the pc, os or browser.

Andrew

Hi again.

It's really quite stramge isn't it.

What ISP are you using over there ? Did you try http://mail.yahoo.com to see if that works rather than using the "portal" access ?

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 41

For those unfortunates that experience the same problems.

It appears that Yahoo at times requires some CAPTCHA verification  - Why I know not ?  the support provided from Yahoo and BT has in this case been very poor . The information or rather lack of information from Yahoo appalling. Those associated with the products should be ashamed.

Oh I'm now back in the UK and guess what ... the yahoo callender is inaccessible today

Could Not Connect

Description: Could not connect to the server "calendar.yahoo.com".

Suppiort pages advice on Yahoo are useless ...

Interesting that I get this problem on my main account over several browsers but can not on other yahoo accounts calenders  - so nothing to do with cookies or my modem/connection.

Poor product ,  inadequately tested  & levels of support far below that expected from a quality organisation.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 41

Just to illusstrate the level of knowledge/support - this is the BT explanation:

Many thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry to hear about your issue with your emails and calendar, Bt yahoo have currently upgrade this service recently. It may be you just need to upgrade

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 41

@zulu17 wrote:

For those unfortunates that experience the same problems.

It appears that Yahoo at times requires some CAPTCHA verification  - Why I know not ?  the support provided from Yahoo and BT has in this case been very poor . The information or rather lack of information from Yahoo appalling. Those associated with the products should be ashamed.

Oh I'm now back in the UK and guess what ... the yahoo callender is inaccessible today

Hi.

If I may so bold ... you didn't give any further answers to the questions raised in the thread when you were in Australia, whether it was your own computer, how you were using GG etc.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 41

I was using the standard Global Gossip PCs at various sites whilst travelling. The system is asccessed by Pin codes for pre-bought time periods. Broadband is actually pretty expensive in Australia. Most of my PC time was taken up in attempting to log on and scour the net for possible solutions.

The root cause of my problems was that BT Yahoo applied  Completely Automated Public Turing Test To Tell Computers and Humans Apart to the login process - this was not displayed on any of the browsers  used. Clearly Yahoo & BT support are unaware of this feature of Yahoo as none refered to it as a possible/probable cause of the problem. 

The (mis) use of CAPITCHA by BT Yahoo appears to apply only to the first use of BT Yahoo logon in Australia - so that subsequently it is not applied.

0 Ratings
BronteDave
Beginner
Message 16 of 41

So is there any solution to this problem? My mother has just arrived from the UK and is having exactly this issue. When she was here a year ago (same computer, same browser etc) there was no issue.

I have now tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari on a Mac and IE on a PC. All have the same issue.

This is very poor.

0 Ratings
richardbarnett
Beginner
Message 17 of 41

I just hit this problem too, as my parents have come to visit & wanted to check their webmail.

I installed the http://www.anonymox.net/ Firefox plugin, kept the default settings & used the free account (500Mb/day traffic).

With this done login worked, popping up a CAPTCHA challenge.  So it seems very unlikely to be an ISP or machine specific problem.

To confirm what other posters have said: Javascript is definitely enabled on all these browsers, ads are only blocked in Chrome, popup blocking is at default settings (Chrome normally prompts when it blocks a popup, but that didn't occur).

I'm on OSX 10.6.8 & have tried with Chrome 23, Safari 5.1.7, Firefox 15.  Using a variety of mail.yahoo.com & bt.yahoo.com to login.

I hope someone from BT can look into this problem.

-- Richard

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 41

@richardbarnett wrote:

I just hit this problem too, as my parents have come to visit & wanted to check their webmail.

I installed the http://www.anonymox.net/ Firefox plugin, kept the default settings & used the free account (500Mb/day traffic).

With this done login worked, popping up a CAPTCHA challenge.  So it seems very unlikely to be an ISP or machine specific problem.

To confirm what other posters have said: Javascript is definitely enabled on all these browsers, ads are only blocked in Chrome, popup blocking is at default settings (Chrome normally prompts when it blocks a popup, but that didn't occur).

I'm on OSX 10.6.8 & have tried with Chrome 23, Safari 5.1.7, Firefox 15.  Using a variety of mail.yahoo.com & bt.yahoo.com to login.

I hope someone from BT can look into this problem.

-- Richard

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

May I ask what the actual issue is ?

Virtually all webmail accesses are available anywhere in the world without any special applications or installations. Why did you install that anonymiser ?

If there is a problem, then it would seem to be specific to the specific Australian system. I would expect the best thing is to check their website in case there is something in particular that needs to be done.

What is the webmail provider ?

0 Ratings
Homer_J
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 41

A stab in the dark but try logging on via the au.yahoo.com site.

I know my yahoo.co.uk (it's not a BT email address though) works on the US site.

0 Ratings
richardbarnett
Beginner
Message 20 of 41

Andy --

The issue is that trying to login with an @btinternet.com Yahoo! ID from Australia gives the "This page requires that you have Javascript enabled on your browser" error.

This occurs whether using bt.yahoo.com or au.yahoo.com - it's the @btinternet.com that's causing this.  I can login using my Yahoo! ID richarddbarnett on the same browser without any trouble.  I also tried the bare username (eg xyz in xyz@btinternet.com) & got the CAPTCHA followed by a "bad password" error.

I used the Anonymox service which makes it appear as if I'm accessing webmail from the US and this error doesn't occur; I'm able to login successfully.

0 Ratings