Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 41

Re: Bt Yahoo Mail will not work in Australia

Thanks Andy.

Can you point me in the direction of exactly how/where to report this matter ?

I'll just tell them that, regardless of p/w used, one of these addresses "works" (i.e. says "wrong p/w") and the other doesn't (i.e. says "js error").

0 Ratings
PommieGranite
Beginner
Message 32 of 41

I'd like to add my voice to the concerns here about the Javascipt error when logging onto BT Yahoo.

I get much the same problems that others have described...

• JS error when I try to log on
  • Outlook can access emails (but in my case will NOT send - which is probably a different issue)

I'm running Windows Vista and have the same issue with both IE9 and Chrome Version 24.0.1312.52 m

I can access my BT account for 'phone and Broadband, but following the link from there still gives me the JS error.

In Australia I'm using Telstra as my ISP.

Reading the posts here, this problem has been discussed for nine about months or more, now.  Is there a solution, yet?   Perhaps BT should manage their own email?

Good luck to everyone and thanks in anticipation of some helpful advice   😉

PS - I'm a newbie to Forums, so apologies in advance if I do / say something stupid...

0 Ratings
PommieGranite
Beginner
Message 33 of 41

I have a work-around...

I noted that people suspected that this is a problem associated with the location of Australia.  I installed a free VPN from http://www.expatshield.com/ and tried again - Yahoo! (pun intended) - I got through to my BT Yahoo account and emails first time.  

Using the VPN also gives full access to BBC iPlayer.

This add-on makes the login site think that you are in the UK by giving you a false UK internet address (I'm sure someone will explain it better than me).  In conclusion, there is nothing wrong with anyone's computer or setting, but either there is a problem with Telstra / other Aussie ISP, or with Yahoo not accepting Australian addresses.

I hope other people manage to use this successfully  🙂

The negative point is minor - because it's free, expatshield uses ads and will ask you if you want to disable Google tracking.  DO NOT DO THIS or you will end up using their search engine which is useless and seems to be only advertisements.  If you do fall foul of this, exit expashield and reload it.

All the best...

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 41

@GrahamW wrote:

Thanks Andy.

Can you point me in the direction of exactly how/where to report this matter ?

I'll just tell them that, regardless of p/w used, one of these addresses "works" (i.e. says "wrong p/w") and the other doesn't (i.e. says "js error").

Hi.

Just pop along to :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

In case I've misunderstood, are any of your accounts working - or do you just get one of the two errors you mention above ?

I would be very careful installing something off the net, particularly as some claims like "as shown on cnn/fox" is mentioned. I've not found the details, so may have missed it ...

0 Ratings
GrahamW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 41

I think that I may have got to the bottom of this.

I tried a VPN with an odd result.  I didn't get the JS error ... but I got a cryptic message about "Accepting Change to Tier of Service" or somesuch.

This reminded me that, having left the UK, no longer being a BT retail customer meant that I had to change to a BT!Yahoo Premium Mail customer (for twopence ha'penny a week) in order to keep my email and its addresses alive.

So perhaps the first visit using the VPN (and appearing to be in the UK) was needed to "sort this out".

Since doing this, and without using a VPN, it now seems that the problem is fixed.

0 Ratings
PommieGranite
Beginner
Message 36 of 41

Andy_N: Quote...

In case I've misunderstood, are any of your accounts working - or do you just get one of the two errors you mention above ?

I would be very careful installing something off the net, particularly as some claims like "as shown on cnn/fox" is mentioned. I've not found the details, so may have missed it ...

...My accounts work fine.  My problem was entirely with logging in with the JS error message.  I mentioned that Outlook wdownloaded but would not send emails.  I originally thought that this was an Outlook problem, but since I used Expatshield as a VPN, the blocked email was sent from the outbox as soon as Outlook reloaded.

I've used Expatshield in the past and there are good reviews of it online and there are no malware issues that I am aware of (I have AVG installed and I think it would warn me if anything was untoward).  Admittedly there are drawbacks regarding advertising, but for a free service that seems to work well, I'm not going to complain as it allows me to do what I want and need to do.

0 Ratings
GrahamW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 41

Strangely it only affected some of my addresses ... but it seems to have been fixed by making just one visit to the web mail site for each address whilst using a VPN.

0 Ratings
Toby154
Beginner
Message 38 of 41

This exact problem seems to happen in New Zealand too.  My aunt is visiting us from the UK and has tried accessing her BTinternet account from multiple devices - always get the Javascript message.

None of us are that tech savvy and do not understand VPNs and the like.  Reading this forum, it seems this is a persistent, long running problem that BT ought to have fixed by now.

Can anyone tell us what we should do to sort this - she is feeling bereft without her internet access.  But there is conflicting advice as to whether we should download stuff to fix it.

Please help, this is awful!

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 41

Did you try the VPN recommended at http://www.expatshield.com?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Toby154
Beginner
Message 40 of 41

Thanks for the advice, but alas, no, this did not fix the problem!

We have emailed them - fingers crossed, but if anyone else can shed any light, please reply...

Toby

0 Ratings