Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattbang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Bt compensation nightmare

Hi All 
I had a BT broadband fault for 10 months. YES 10 Months
I had to take 3 days off work for engineer visits and spent hours upon hours on the phone and emailing.
I had been told by a 'OFFSHORE' customer service advisor that i would be compensated for my time.
Fine no problem I thought even after telling him I earn approx £100 per day.
I knew I couldn't make a claim until the problem was resolved so waited patiently.
10 months later i have a decent speed after the problem was fixed at the exchange.
I contact BT to claim my compensation to be told I was entitled to £30.
£10 per Day for engineer visits even though after the first I was told it was an exchange issue.
I cannot claim anything for all my wasted time on the phone and emailing.
Has anyone else had a similar issue as i am not going to accept it.
Small claims court maybe. 
Its the principle more than anything that i was told one thing then when it comes to it they back out.

Sorry if posted in wrong place
Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Bt compensation nightmare

Hi mattbang,  not nthe best thing to start of by saying, but it's not a suprise to me that there is someone out there that is or has been facing the same sort of problem as I have.  I still have an on going issue with my broadband which started thirteen months ago and as of yet they have not sorted it.  I have had to take many days off of work, and being self employed this means that I loss about £260 a day.  The amount of time that I have spent on the telephone to many different advisors, as when promised a call back, which 75% of the time never happens, so you have to start all over again with a new advisor and they tell you that they have to do all the things that have already been done.

On the subject of compensation.  I was informaed that, if there is a fualt with your broiadband then you can claim for the daily rentail charges back, when the fualt has been resolved.  As far as I am aware the £10 is for each engineer visit, but usually is only paid if the visit was missed by the engineer.

BT is like many companies now, in that they no longer have a concept of what good customer service is and that the only thing that they are concerned with, is the bottom line of the bank staement in the accounts department and if therre is enough money to pay the CEO £4.5 million bonus this year.

No real effort to give to it's customers the quality of service that the customer reasonablly expects.  The broadband service is a joke.  No wonder that BT is no longer in the top five for best UK ISP.  They are and know that they are a monoply company.  Therefore believe that they can dowhat they like and pass us around and around hopping that we will get fed up and either stop complaining or go else where.

Even Otello have been of little help, as they are founded by BT in part, and they will not do more than the bear mininimum for a member of the general public.  As for Ofcom, no approach from the general public as it can't deal with individual cases.

0 Ratings
Oldwindsor05
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Contact Otelo then Oftel and write to ian livingston

0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

dear oldwindsor05,  if you had read my post you would have seen that I have and am going down that route.  Ofcom (Oftel) don't want to know.  Ian Livingston will just pass your details back to the support team and Otelo, seem to lean heavly on the side of it's funding member BT.  At the moment waiting for a reply from Otelo Ombudsman which is going to take about eight weeks before I shall get an answer.

0 Ratings
loudgraham
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

write to ian livingston i had 6 engineer visits over a few months and after i wrote to him the 7th one, a senior broadband engineer found the problem got it sorted and i got £72 compensation !  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Hi Mattbang

I can have this investigated for you.

Send me an email using the contact us form in my profile. You will find this form in the section about me.

It will ask for the necessary information we need to open an investigation for you.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
mattbang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Hi Diean

Just wondering if youve heard anything since your last post

Im disgusted with the service i have received from BT!!!!!

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
mattbang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Stuart

I have sent you an email to start another investigation

Hopefully you can resolve it

Matt

0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

Just to let you know.  I am on letter number three to Otello.  As the first decission was very heavly on the side of BT, even to the point were a great deal of the wording used was straight from the BT advisor's script and BT's terms and conditions.  The second decission they sent was much the same but did not really answer my original complaint, which in the main part was for mis-selling the broadband service in the first plaice.  I have yet another five weeks for the ombudsman to get back to me.  As to the compensation, Otello so far think that £50 is enougth for an ongoing problem of some thirteen months.  Worst part of it all is that I have found out that the advisors tell you to monitor your speed for ten days and then they will get back in touch with you, but of course they don't but enter in the notes that they tried three times and got no answer, and then they have the right to close the fualt.  Which means you don't know that the fualt has been closed so you are unable to claim any compensation.  Well done to BT trainers.  The trouble with being self-employed is when you have to take time off from work, as not only do you lose money, but you lose your reputation for being reliable.  On many occassion, where I work I am not allowed to take my mobile phone in with me, so during the day I am out of reach and you tell them this three or four times and they still insist they will contact you on your mobile.  also when they say we'll give you a call back between eight an twelve.  Do they think they work for BT Openreach????  If I were to run my business the same way as BT is allowing the overseas call centre staff run the call centres then I would be out of business in about a month.  Still having a speed problem and still waiting for BT to get it sorted.  Told that I will get a call back within the next twenty four hours.  Are they telling me not to go to work for the next twenty four hours, as I am working somewhere where I am not allowed to take my mobile in with me. What's the betting that they will try to contact me on my mobile.  Do I open a book???? If I were to work out how much I had lost over the past thirteen months I would probly be in hospital in the carsdiac ward recovering.  Sorry for the length of this post.

0 Ratings
mattbang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

I am still waiting for a response from Stuart at BT!!!!!

0 Ratings