cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luigi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Bt fon and Openzone

I'm having a problem connecting to my own hotspot fon/ Openzone from laptop and phone, it will show as connected but only local  or  not with Internet connection... having no problems if I connect to HH with its SSID.. Have tried with firewall off but still no good... Thanks..

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
luigi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt fon and Openzone

Would like to add to this query... will this connection problem arise when I try and connect to other Fon and Openzone hotspots ..or os it just my own hotspot  that is the problem..

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 3 of 7

The service is not compatible with certain brands of laptop or wireless adaptors.

In my house there are 2 laptops, both running windows 7 64bit. Ones and Acer the other HP. BT fon does not work on either of those.

But strangely it works fine on my ancient 10 year old desktop computer running windows XP that uses a wi-fi usb adaptor.

I have also tried the laptop on BTfon hotspots other than my own. Still doesn't work.

The laptop I am using now has an atheros wireless adaptor. So problem could be the service is not compatible with those adaptors. Either that or it's not compatible with Win 7 64bit.

There is clearly a serious problem with the service and BT are not interested in fixing it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

works on our acer any version of windows and a friend's compaq an hp laptops all using win 7
0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 5 of 7

What wireless adaptor do those laptops have though?

Truth is the whole problem is baffling me. 

The laptops can see the hotspot, they can connect to them but they get limited connectivity and no landing page. Even entering the landing page web address manually doesn't work.

I tried my sisters laptop which is a Toshiba with Windows 7 64bit. That works fine with BTFON and openzone.

The only difference seems to be the internal wireless adaptor on that is an intel.

All three laptops use the windows 7 connection manager so I set them up for Fon the same but only the the toshiba laptop works

Could using a different connection manager work?

Although not sure where I could get one. Looked on the Atheros site but can't find any downloads at all.

0 Ratings
luigi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

My phone is the BT HTC S710 don’t know when this connection problem started,

as it always connects with the hub though the hub SSID. I do know that it was

ok several months ago that’s was the last time that I tried it.  The laptop is a HP Pavilion Dv2000 running Win Visa with all the latest updates with Intel 3945 ABG wireless adaptor. I see that  Malacath  in the response to my problem is having exactly the same problem.... Quote “The laptops can see the hotspot, they can connect to them but they get limited connectivity and no landing page. Even entering the landing page web address manually doesn't work”...... My previous laptop also HP connected just fine and why has my phone stopped connecting…

0 Ratings
luigi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Update.... this morning with my phone I went to Café Nero and Starbucks  both Openzone hotspots had no trouble connecting at both. Don't know if the laptop would have worked, so it looks like a problem with my Bt HH. Thoughts anyone on this ??

0 Ratings