cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tirn
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Bt infinity never available in Haworth

Recently the exchange at Haworth was enabled albeit woefully past advertised dates. After being informed by openreach via their adsl checker that fttc would be available to me I decided to stay with BT in anticipation of the huge increase in speed I'd get from my appallingly slow 3.2 mbs . Time passed without being informed as to when etc fttc would be available so losing patience I contacted openreach and asked that they look into the matter and let me know when the cabinet serving my property would be upgraded. The response I go back was quite awful . I was informed that not all the cabinets from the exchange would be enabled and that mine would never be enabled for a variety of reasons ( none specific) . They admitted that their adsl checker had wrongly reported that fttc would be enabled as their database had it been updated . They assured me that this was an isolated incident and apologised . I asked them to let me know the location of my cabinet and to at least fully explain why the cabinet would not be upgraded . They refused to do so , the reasons being that they did not advertise the location of the cabinets due to copper thieves and that the cabinet had been withdrawn dye to engineering , health and safety issues. All utter nonsense of course . The cabinets are scruffy green boxes that anyone can easily see . Revealing my cabinets location to me poses no threat it was used as an absurd excuse. Eventually openreach gave the true reason "we do not have to justify our business decision" A nice response to someone who has been misled by their incompetence but more to the point a customer of BT s for over 15 years . Has anyone else in this area been treated in a similar manner ?
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Mark039
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Bt infinity never available in Haworth

@Tirn wrote:
I asked them to let me know the location of my cabinet and to at least fully explain why the cabinet would not be upgraded . They refused to do so , the reasons being that they did not advertise the location of the cabinets due to copper thieves and that the cabinet had been withdrawn dye to engineering , health and safety issues. All utter nonsense of course .

Yes, cable theft does seem a pretty flimsy reason. Fortunately you can find your cabinet easily enough by a brief walk around your neighbourhood (or by a virtual walk using google streetview).

What makes you think engineering and health and safety issues might not be the issue? I've no doubt BT/Openreach look at each cabinet from a cost/benefit basis and if there are engineering or other issues which make it too expensive to upgrade the cabinet, or if they consider that there would be insufficient take-up to make it commercially viable it's reasonable for them not do to it.

I'd be guessing, but I suspect they originally intended to upgrade your cabinet, but later discovered practical/cost issues which made it non-viable - then forgot to upgrade their database accordingly. Very frustrating for you, of course.

0 Ratings
Tirn
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

"

Yes, cable theft does seem a pretty flimsy reason. Fortunately you can find your cabinet easily enough by a brief walk around your neighbourhood (or by a virtual walk using google streetview).

What makes you think engineering and health and safety issues might not be the issue? I've no doubt BT/Openreach look at each cabinet from a cost/benefit basis and if there are engineering or other issues which make it too expensive to upgrade the cabinet, or if they consider that there would be insufficient take-up to make it commercially viable it's reasonable for them not do to it.

I'd be guessing, but I suspect they originally intended to upgrade your cabinet, but later discovered practical/cost issues which made it non-viable - then forgot to upgrade their database accordingly. Very frustrating for you, of course."

"Flimsy" ? come on , what makes you think a cable thief needs to be told by Openreach where the cabinets are ? The reason is simply false ! With respect you cant simply find the cabinet as you suggest , did you simply copy and paste this in from another post ? Have you ever tried to do this around Haworth ? Not even the openreach engineers themselves could find it at first , how inept is that ?

Why should I trust their responses as being sincere or indeed correct ?

Look if the truth is that its simply not viable for purely commercial reasons then they should just say . I know Im in a rural area but we find BS just as offensive a smell as anyone else .

Dont you think that a long time customer deserves a decent truthful response ?

We shouldnt just put up with this "because thats the way it is" , they have a monopoly , thats being in an extremely privileged position to make huge profits .They should,  at the very least,  be held accountable .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

openreach operate as a totally independent operation to BT Retail your supplier under rules laid down by OFCOM and provide a level playing field of service also Openreach do not communicate with the public and only deal with service providers there are many practical reasons for new fibre cabinets being installed including lack of suitable power services planning permission refusals there was a recent case where residents did not want it outside there house there has like wise for another example were one London district refused planing permission to 96 of 108 cabinets as it was a conservation area there are many more reasons for a cabinet not being updated
0 Ratings
Mark039
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

I find that whenever people preface their sentence by 'with respect' you know they are immediately going to be offensive! No, I didn't copy and paste my comment from other posts, it was based on personal experience. No, as I don't live in Haworth, obviously I've had no reason to go looking there for PCPs. I'm sorry that it's apparently more difficult in your rural village than it is mine, to find the cabinet you're connected to.

I'm still none the wiser why you are so peremptorily dismissive of the explanation given to you for not upgrading your cabinet, but hey, as you clearly have a better insight into the workings of BT/Openreach than I do, I'm sure you know best.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

i live in a village and know where my cabinets are 🙂

And if you have standard pcp cabinets and you are going to get fttc in your area you will probably see within 100m a new smaller/larger cabinet. You will also see coming from the pcp a channel that has been dug to connect the two cabinets up.

If you don't see these near your cabinet then the likelyhood is your not going to get fttc yet. And even if you do see the cabinets you can't guarantee if they will be activated

0 Ratings
Tirn
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

"i live in a village and know where my cabinets are"

that isnt the problem , arrgghhhh !!!!! please read the post . I was trying to find out which cabinet served my property . I know where most of the cabinets are .  I could then find out whether i was being fobbed off (as I suspect) or whether what I was being told was correct .

I have in fact been told that the cabinet serving my property will never be enabled .

0 Ratings
Mark039
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Please re-read your own post.

"I asked them to let me know the location of my cabinet..."

"Revealing my cabinets location to me..."

There is nothing in your post which questions which cabinet you're connected to. It's all about where your cabinet is. Even if you establish which cabinet you're connected to (which isn't difficult), how is that going to help you confirm or disprove  the health and safety and engineering issues you've been advised about?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Hi Tirn,

Thanks for posting. I think John46 has answered your question. There are a large number of reasons why cabs aren’t installed including planning issues etc. I can check which one you’re on if you wish but that’s no guarantee that Infinity will be enabled, as you’ve been advised by Openreach. Drop me an email with your details, you’ll find the “contact us” forum in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Tirn
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

There is nothing in your post which questions which cabinet you're connected to. It's all about where your cabinet is. Even if you establish which cabinet you're connected to (which isn't difficult), how is that going to help you confirm or disprove  the health and safety and engineering issues you've been advised about? Sorry ? What did you think I meant by "my cabinet " ? would I be connected to a different cabinet than that ? If so why would that be "my" cabinet ? I know the number of the cabinet serving my property but I don't know where it is . To suggest that you can just take a walk and find out , as you did , may well work where you are but it doesn't here . If you don't know why this is important to me then I give up !! It looks like the moderator will answer my question anyway
0 Ratings