cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 45

Re: Bt infinity very slow.

As ChristopherP has posted if you are having problems with Infinity then please contact him
0 Ratings
Snglespeedman
Beginner
Message 22 of 45

I appreciate you are saying you will look into this but that is part of the issue, speak to bt and they do nothing. Get rid of the foreign call centres and get back to being BRiTISH telecom. Not being racist at all. I do not really care who I speak to provided that they are fluent enough in the language of the consumer raising the issue and that they also actually action the complaints. Try getting a call centre in Belgium as they seem to be fluent in almost every known language to man and, based on the support I have had from another couple of companies, actually care about the work they do. I know it sucks being berated on a daily basis when you are just someone doing a job but the company you guys work for needs to get their stuff together. Maybe if bt had a little more about themselves then we would not be in the mess that llu at the exchange has brought upon us. If you can only offer poor speeds then advertise what you can sell, not the dream of what could happen if everything is perfect. All of ,y issues could be resolved by having my house route to the dp 200 feet from my house. My company have even offered to run the cable through to the cab for free but bt are not interested so I get to run off a cab put infor 50's built houses and not the cab I can see from my living room window giving the street next to me 70mb connections. I am happy to get what my maximum rate could be based on the line stats but even then I still get half of that with no reason provided at all and nothing to indicate why when using kit, from work, to test the lines that cost thousands of pound to buy. I am lucky enough to be able to provide every detailed analysis of my line to bt and u lucky enough to still get stuck talking to the same half wits who are nothing more than basic call centre staff located In far away land.

Maybe if bt cared about customer a little more they would not have people jumping ship to other providers. The real shame is that they are still stuck with the old bt cables running to the houses. I am becoming increasingly convinced that genuine 4g (not what we are getting classed as 4g) will be the way to end everyone hating bt as once it is widespread, bt will provide nothing but a phone line again.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 45

@ Snglespeedman

ChristopherP  Is a Member of the UK BASED BT CARE TEAM who moderate this forum  and they will look into your problems and take personal ownership of any problem until resolved
Also It is Openreach that is carrying out the rollout of Fibre services in the UK and that is on behalf of all ISP's including BT Retail reselling fibre products

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
StuartTheFish
Contributor
Message 24 of 45

In case you've not been made aware, the tests the engineer does is just to see how fast the line is CAPABLE OF, not your realistic download speeds. Sounds to me like your low speeds are contention.

To help me explain, think of the line as a tunnel for cars to go through. Your tunnel can now handle somewhere around 70mb's worth of traffic thanks to fiber. The problem is, the exchange can still only dish out a certain volume of traffic, and they're sending that traffic EVERYWHERE to all their customers, not just to you. It's one of the main reasons why internet speeds can plummet at peak times.
0 Ratings
Snglespeedman
Beginner
Message 25 of 45

Perhaps you missed the point where I explained what I do for a living and thankfully for me, better than bt. Not contention, there is a fault on the the line. The line is faulty and the faulty line needs fixing. Have use a lot of very expensive kit to test this and the only check I have not been able to do would involve me getting into the cab. Funnily enough this is what the bt engineer did when he raised the fault that bt have failed to resolve or progress. Another missed call today advising me that the fault has been resolved. Guess what........

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 45

Then I suggest to you again take up ChristopherP's offer of assistance as the mod team will take personal ownership of your problem until resolved
0 Ratings
slugcrusher
Beginner
Message 27 of 45

I too have infinity and am getting really fed up with it. This will be my 8 week and I can honestly say it has never worked at the promised speed of 40mpbs. On a good day I get 20 and one most days I get 4 and other days the ADS light doesn’t even come on at all. A third engineer is coming round to day.. to 'look at it'. Its no longer surprising that when I call up  08001114567 and speak to 'Kevin' or 'Mary' from a call centre in India, they test the line and confirm the service I get is unacceptable and they will escalate it to 2nd line support. If they ask me to unplug the cable, swap the ends around and then power down the system one more time I will scream at them. I have been given an appointment of between 8 and 1 for a visit from an engineer. I've taken half a day off work to wait in for him. Its now 12.50 and I'm off at 1 regardless. Overall, for the amount  I am paying over the top for infinity compared to basic broadband, the service is shocking and no way can it be called value for money. The next 10 minutes will tell me if I'm having it taken away and asking for a refund. I want a connection I can rely on. BT Infinity isnt it. 

0 Ratings
Danoh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 45

Bt Infinity. WAY past fed-up!.

I've had BT Infinty broadband since barely a few months after it came out—and Infinity 2 from directly when it came out. Now, My local exchange is only about 400 meters away; I also have a top-speed, all singing-and-dancing, constantly up-to-date machine with every stop pulled out--so you would think I would be getting near top-of-the-charts speed for Infinity broadband, but no. Hardly, in fact.
   I don't know why I bother, but I just now ran BT's own speedchecker (for the umpteeeenth time). Again I got the usual results of around 43 ~ish MB or so, download. Once—that's ONCE—I got a 53 ~ish reading. You might think that in years of paying for BT's  infamously "up to" 80MB broadband I should at least once touch 70, even 60MB, but again, no. I don't even know what 54 looks like. Not even as a "peak" reading.

None of that, however, is the real irritant.  I have, you see, a real-time-graph & statistics software (Bitmeter 2) on my desktop screen, so not only can I see the graph go up and down in real time; I can see the numbers too). Thus, whenever I use BT's speedtester I then immediately download a test file from somewhere or other. This tells the real story. So, how is it that when BT tells me I'm getting 43MB,  files actually download at anything between 3.5 and 0.5? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that's ONE-HALF of a megabyte download speed. (Sometimes, I get short sprints of, maybe, 8-13MB.
Today is 27 Feb: the end of the month. Bitmeter tells me I have downloaded so far this month a total of 4.62 GB--at an average download speed of 1.91 Kilobytes per second. Yes. That's right: KILObytes! What does BT say? I shouldn't trust anythingt but THEIR reading. Well, of course they would say that. Adding insult to injury, they're effectively telling me that I can't tell the difference between 43MB and 0.43 MB. But I can. Even if such software as Bitmeter 2 does, as BT maintains, giving false readings, the proof in the pudding tells me that the truth is much, much, much—much closer to Bitmeter's reading than BT's.

Way, waaaaay past fed-up with Infinity!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 29 of 45

Re: Bt Infinity. WAY past fed-up!.

BT reports in megabits (43Mb).  Your file downloads are probably measured in magabytes (MB).  3.5MB = 28Mb.  Still a discrepancy, but not nearly as much as you suggest.

Where are you downloading from?  The delay may be at the server end.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 30 of 45

Re: Bt Infinity. WAY past fed-up!.

3.5MBps = 28Mbps

Edit: guessing a typo on your part 🙂

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings