cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert1956
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Bt on holiday

This is my first post so is if it's  in the wrong place I apologise. I am traveling to New York City and I was wondering if Anyone had experienced wifi in Manhattan . I have used Btfon and Btopenzone at home and was wondering if BT have any partners in the area. Do I need any new password etc. if they do.

Thanks in advance

Robert

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bt on holiday

The Find Fon Spots option here shows a fair spattering of hotpots in Manhattan. You should be able to connect using your BT Broadband sign-in details, but difficulties using the Fon facility outside the UK have been reported on this forum.

It's probably worth trying, but if an internet connection is essential I would research some commercial options just in case.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Robert1956
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi thank you for reply unfortunately I am unable to register on the Fon site just no where to do it.

I have the Bt wifi app do you think that would be suitable .

thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

You won't be able to log in to the Fon site with your BT details; that's only for people who are signed up for Fon direct. The hotspot search doesn't require log-in. Just click Find Fon Spots then "Search by specific location" and enter Manhattan. If you zoom out you will see the hotspots indicated by orange squares. You can then zoom in on any you're interested in until it turns into a Fon symbol, then click it to get its location. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 5 of 10

@Robert1956 wrote:

Hi thank you for reply unfortunately I am unable to register on the Fon site just no where to do it.

I have the Bt wifi app do you think that would be suitable .

thanks again

Check/register BT Fon membership here.Sign in/up using your primary BT username and password and login in via a browser as a BT BB customer or use the app.

http://www.btfon.com/register

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

@AllanQuatermain wrote:

Check/register BT Fon membership here.Sign in/up using your primary BT username and password and login in via a browser as a BT BB customer or use the app.

http://www.btfon.com/register

Do you have to do that to use Fon abroad if you're a BT opted-in customer? This suggests that your BT sign-in details will do, just as in the UK. I've not had to use it myself though as most overseas hotels seem to have free wifi these days (or have I just been lucky?). Come on UK - catch up!

--
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

No. Just so the OP can check his opted in/out status.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

If you continue to have problems with BTFON but can get a free wifi connection at say your hotel then there is a new BT app on Play store BT SmartTalk.  This will enable you via your free wifi connection to make calls back to UK landlines as if you were still in the UK.  The cost is billed to your existing BT landline so if you have free anytime calls then you can phone the UK landline for free - the 1 hour time limit still applies just like at home.

I have used this for phoning home from France using free wifi not BTFON and worked great and free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Robert1956
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

BT Fon

I checked the the Fon site and I am opted in so I thought I would try and connect the Fon connection at home. This did not work.  But I could connect to The BTopenzone wifi connection. Why can I not register for both if I am why does it not work. Confused

Robert

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Re: BT Fon

you should be able to login to BTFON now BTWIFI which is broadcast by your own hub - are you using the primary email address and password - sub accounts don't work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings