Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swedish_cook
Contributor
Message 31 of 57

Re: Bt vision 2 vs you view

@masona2 wrote:

Tut tut tut,

Oh ye of little faith. Did you not read this July interview with BT Visions Marc Watson? -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/01/bt-vision-marc-watson-interview

You cannot seriously quote an interview that really says nothing definitive from back on 1st July - I'm sure BT have been trialing a few different things, since Youview has dragged on and on and on, but now they officially announced Youview pricing and we are told the firmware due by the end of year is the one to support IP channels, there can be little doubt for me Youview is Vision 2/Vision HD/Vision++ whatever you like to call it.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 57

@swedish_cook wrote:

@masona2 wrote:

Tut tut tut,

Oh ye of little faith. Did you not read this July interview with BT Visions Marc Watson? -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/01/bt-vision-marc-watson-interview

You cannot seriously quote an interview that really says nothing definitive from back on 1st July - I'm sure BT have been trialing a few different things, since Youview has dragged on and on and on, but now they officially announced Youview pricing and we are told the firmware due by the end of year is the one to support IP channels, there can be little doubt for me Youview is Vision 2/Vision HD/Vision++ whatever you like to call it.

I think there can be a lot of doubt.... July 1st is not that long ago and it is when the boxes were just about to be trialled, so the information would have been there. The article also talks about a BT box AND YouView. They are talked about as 2 different entities. As with most of BT's news, we will just have to wait and see.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 57

@swedish_cook wrote:

True, SC, true.

But it is coming. YouView has now been announced and with be fully supported by BT. But BT Vision is going absolutely nowhere and will also continue to be fully supported by BT. 

But, of course, the proof will be in the HD pudding...  Smiley Very Happy

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 57

I hope BT Vision's not going absolutely nowhere; they've got a lot of bugs to fix!

Do we know (have we clues?) whether both platforms will get IPTV linear channels? And if so, which will get them first?!

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 57

Unfortunately not.

I haven't heard a peep about this.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 57

Re: Bt vision 2 vs. you view

My head hurts Smiley Frustrated

I received the email offering me the new Youview box for £49 so I thought I would investigate, as well as this thread I found this  FT article  and this one Videoworld that suggests the Humax youview box is a stop gap offering, because the faster, more modern Pace box is not ready!

I'll say it again, my head really hurts!

Edited because the FT link does not always work, so I have added one that should hopefully work  

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 57

Re: Bt vision 2 vs. you view

Oh dear, just read the small print on the email

" To move your BT Vision service onto a YouView box for £49, you'll need to be out of your minimum term contract and take out a new 12-month contract for BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity and BT Vision. Customers within their minimum term can purchase the YouView box for £299. "

So as a valued customer I am only eligible if I am out of contract!Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
swedish_cook
Contributor
Message 38 of 57

@minusdot wrote:

I hope BT Vision's not going absolutely nowhere; they've got a lot of bugs to fix!

Do we know (have we clues?) whether both platforms will get IPTV linear channels? And if so, which will get them first?!

For Youview indications are by year end, if you want some bedtime reading on how it will integrate :

https://industry.youview.com/resources/YouView_UI_and_Search_Policy,_IP_Channels_-_for_consultation_...

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 39 of 57

@swedish_cook wrote:

@minusdot wrote:

For Youview indications are by year end, if you want some bedtime reading on how it will integrate :

https://industry.youview.com/resources/YouView_UI_and_Search_Policy,_IP_Channels_-_for_consultation_...

Sorry, SC, I need to pull you up here...

Who said the live multicast channels will be available via YouView? Bearing in mind -this is, after all, a future BT service.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
swedish_cook
Contributor
Message 40 of 57

See the doc I linked to, thats not a BT doc. Quite likely that some linear channels would be BT only though.
0 Ratings