Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 41 of 57

Re: Bt vision 2 vs you view

@swedish_cook wrote:
See the doc I linked to, thats not a BT doc. Quite likely that some linear channels would be BT only though.

Indeed.

Do you know whats the confusion with third party users accessing theTalkTalk Linear channels? After all, thez wants to pays thez money! And I would have thought TT would've wanted to takes thez money!  Smiley Surprised

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
swedish_cook
Contributor
Message 42 of 57

Its a strange game to be sure, just look at that BT Footie rights interview you posted, are BT going to sell their channel to Sky ? Maybe maybe not, if I were BT I'd tell Sky to go whistle even if it hurts the coffers in the short term ... Gonna be some very upset Sky subscribers if they do.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 43 of 57

@swedish_cook wrote:
Its a strange game to be sure, just look at that BT Footie rights interview you posted, are BT going to sell their channel to Sky ? Maybe maybe not, if I were BT I'd tell Sky to go whistle even if it hurts the coffers in the short term ... Gonna be some very upset Sky subscribers if they do.

Off topic to be sure (apologies teeddy) -

No (see prev pages of this thread). They will make the Vision Sports channel available to anyone who wants it and on every platform they can. To recoup as much revenue as possible. Including games consoles (if they want it, too).

It was a stipulation of the EPL contract too, to spread the content as far and wide as possible. Because the EPL once made a very serious mistake, regarding a contract in China, and they won't be making that mistake again.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
r1sh12
Expert
Message 44 of 57

Re: Bt vision 2 vs. you view

That FT article is pretty worrying.

Im going to hold off the youview purchase, until I know the pace box is being sent out.

“The Pace box has a more up-to-date chip, but the Humax box is ready and Pace is not.”

Is a small extract from the FT article.

Since the original 2010 deadline of youview release date was missed, the humax box seems to be a little rushed.

The pace box has better specs.

How can I ensure I get a pace box??

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 45 of 57

Re: Bt vision 2 vs. you view

@r1sh12 wrote:

How can I ensure I get a pace box??

Wait for 6 months before ordering.

0 Ratings
swedish_cook
Contributor
Message 46 of 57

Faster chip in Pace, but will it be better ? Its almost certainly cheaper, thats why BT want it, but the Pace didn't work. Both boxes need to meet the Youview hardware spec. Humax have a better name for quality in recent years, holding on for the Pace is might pay but its a risky strategy.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 47 of 57

@swedish_cook wrote:
Faster chip in Pace, but will it be better ? Its almost certainly cheaper, thats why BT want it, but the Pace didn't work. Both boxes need to meet the Youview hardware spec. Humax have a better name for quality in recent years, holding on for the Pace is might pay but its a risky strategy.

I agree the name 'Humax' is a brand for quality. Top notch and the best, even. But you've never used a Pace box. They are superb. It's only the new Vision 2.0 Linux firmware bugs that are causing the current problems. The boxes and UI in themselves are excellent.

Can't wait for the new Pace box/es!

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
swedish_cook
Contributor
Message 48 of 57

@masona2 wrote:

I agree the name 'Humax' is a brand for quality. Top notch and the best, even. But you've never used a Pace box. They are superb. It's only the new Vision 2.0 Linux firmware bugs that are causing the current problems. The boxes and UI in themselves are excellent.

The UI of a Youview box is the same on every box and written by Youview, so why is the UI a differentiator here ? 

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 49 of 57

@swedish_cook wrote:

@masona2 wrote:

The UI of a Youview box is the same on every box and written by Youview, so why is the UI a differentiator here ? 

Oh, sorry! I meant the Vision UI and OS.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 57

I am totally confused now with all this.  All other providers seem simple by comparison.  Sky just has a box with anytime and satellite channels.  Virgin pretty much the same with a tivo option.  Talktalk have a clear youview offering (although it is crippled by lack of recording) but BT seems to have a load of different options and possibilities that noone is quite sure of.

Why are we having this Linux update to the black box?  Why not just put everyone on youview and have done with it? 

0 Ratings