cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BtWifi & Openzone Ip adress

Hello Everyone! I have a question regarding ip adres.When i do connect my phone, pc to one of the BT openzone hotspots, i an getting ip adress such as 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.my question is where does this ip comes from? I an sure if the router plugged to pc via Lan cable it had different ip range. Could you please help?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BtWifi & Openzone Ip adress

that is the start of the IP address when connecting to btwifi/fon. That distinguishes it if you check hub for connected devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Expert
Message 3 of 11

As the BTWifi (BT Openzone) network is different to your internal network, then the BTWifi network uses the private ipv4 address starting with 10.x to avoid conflicts between the HomeHub LAN ipv4 address range.

You can change the HomeHub LAN's ipv4 address range to something like 172.16.0.x/24 but you will find that anything with a 10.xxx.xxx.x won't be allowed due to the HomeHub reserving this for the BTWifi network.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

@James-C wrote:

As the BTWifi (BT Openzone) network is different to your internal network, then the BTWifi network uses the private ipv4 address starting with 10.x to avoid conflicts between the HomeHub LAN ipv4 address range.

Can you please explain more in details please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@RadoXX wrote:

@James-C wrote:

Can you please explain more in details please?

What other detail do you need. Your hub defaults to a 192.168.1.xx private network. BTWifi uses a 10.x private address range. What does it matter what IP address you get?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Where does it gets Ip adress from? From DNS server or from the router? I cant even ping them 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@RadoXX wrote:

Where does it gets Ip adress from? From DNS server or from the router? I cant even ping them 😞

You can't ping what from what? You obviously can't ping a device from a 10.XX network from a 192.168.xx network or vice versa as they are discrete PRIVATE networks and are non-routable over the internet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

The reason i am asking is:When i connected to bt wifi-with-fon i get that error "DNS Probe finishe No Internet" is this is happens because of the settings on computer or something?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@RadoXX wrote:

The reason i am asking is:When i connected to bt wifi-with-fon i get that error "DNS Probe finishe No Internet" is this is happens because of the settings on computer or something?

If your computer`s network setting is not set to automatic, or you have not specified that the BT Wifi is a "public" network and not a "private" one, they you are going to have problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

My computer is set to receive automatic Ip and all the other settings via DHCP.

0 Ratings