Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
staffyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Burnt out

Hi all ,

the bt phone cable coming into my house has burnt through in the junction box from the outside cable (goes through my window sill and looks old).There is no bt master box for the phone in the house would i have to pay for a new over head cable and master box?

thanks staffyman

ps cant find any phone numbers to get help

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Burnt out

phone faults on 150
0 Ratings
staffyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

thanks john46,
conected the wire back on so the phone is working ,but i would like a bt master if i can get them to install it with a new in coming cable .Would i have to pay?
I hope not been with bt for about 20 years and never had them out lol
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

You should have a master socket somewhere, even if it's one of the old-style ones.  It's usually the first one the line connects to.  The exception is if someone's previously done a DIY bodge job.

If the line is faulty, it's BT's responsibility to fix it at their expense.  The exception is if you broke it.  Internal extensions aren't BT's problem, and they may charge to fix them.

0 Ratings
staffyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

the cable comes through my window sill then i have this conection box where the wire burnt out no master socket
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

BT's fault line is 0800 800 151.

How is the phone connected to the line?  If it's an old BT phone that's hard-wired to the incoming phone line, then BT should fix that, and really ought to install a master socket at their expense.  If it's a plug-in phone, then what makes you think that you don't have a master socket?

staffyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

thanks for the number,if i had a bt master socket would this be wired with the over head cable?
my phone does plug in but this is wired from the first junction box
thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

This is looking complicated, and I'm hesitant in case I offer you bad advice. It's possible that the junction box belongs to BT. If that's the case, it may well have a BT logo on it (or even something like Post Office Telephones or GPO if it's a really old one). If it's BT's junction box, then it's their problem. It's also possible that someone's been fiddling with the wiring, and added their own junction box before the main socket. BT will deny any responsibility for any faults with this, and are likely to charge to put it right.
0 Ratings
staffyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks
phoned bt and have someone calling on tuesday will let you know the outcome.
the box was old and water was coming in from the overhead cable (they drilled a hole in the middle of a concrete window sill to put the cable into the house !!!)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

just be warned that you could be liable to a callout charge.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings