cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JP-online
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Buying an Openreach Modem, Do I Really Need to Unlock it?

Go to solution

I've decided move away from BT the BT hubs due to the lack of control that they allow compared to third party routers, one of the primary reason is that I want to move my OpenVPN from an App on my Mac to the router so that my entire network is secured.

For this, I'm going to probably be buying one of the following routers, or something very similar. They are all compatible with My VPN provider.

• Linksys WRT-1200AC
  • Netgear R7000
  • Asus RT-N66U

I'm then going to need a modem to connect the router too and have possibly decided to get one of the Openreach modems as they're pretty widely recommended. For me, the modem is going to be no more than a standard modem with all the settings being dealt with router side.

I don't need to monitor traffic on the modem or have access to a GUI as it just isn't something that I need.

I've seen that there are people who unlock their modems and it does give them additional options when they do that but do I need to unlock the modem for what I'm wanting to do router side? Is there any benefit in me getting one of the Openreach modems over the others?

I'll still be using it with BT Infinity 1 FTTC but I don't want to overcomplicate things by buying or unlocking an Openreach modem if it's not going to be of any use to me and what I'm wanting. I'd really prefer to keep things simple I simply and log into my OpenVPN subscription on the new router.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Buying an Openreach Modem, Do I Really Need to Unlock it?

Go to solution

The only reason to unlock the Openreach modem is to obtain line stats, which won't be available from your router. If you get the Huawei HG612 version it is extremely trivial to do so, there is no need to buy one that is already unlocked. It can be useful to see the basic line stats if having connection problems. ECI modems are a different kettle of fish and require the use of soldering iron etc.

0 Ratings
JP-online
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Brilliant, thank you.

That was the way I understood it but I felt it was best to check just in case I was missing something while looking into it. Am I also correct in thinking in that if I don't buy an unlocked Openreach modem then it's simply a matter of connecting it as standard due to it already being pre-configured for BT?

Luckily, I don't have issues with connections so it is simply for the VPN service.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Yes, it will work straight out of the box. The router will need to be configured to deal with the PPP layer. Set PPPoE and VLAN ID 101 if the wizard doesn't set it up for you on your chosen router. Username homehub@btbroadband.com, password BT if the router insists you need one.

0 Ratings
JP-online
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, I can deal with the VPN on the router side, I have experience with that it's just that the Openreach routers are completely new to me.

Now I can spend a couple of days deciding which router to settle on, then I can start spending money which is the only real downside to this. 

0 Ratings