cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

CAN I GET INFINITY IF I DONT HAVE CABLE TO MY HOUSE?

Hello

I have realised that on my street 35 or so people have an incoming cable (Virgin Media) to their property. Our house is the only one on the street that doesn't. Does anyone know if this means that I cannot get Infinity when it arrives in my area? I have a BT line into the property and standard BB via BT. Not sure if the existing BT line can be used for Infinity or whether the alternative is the road being dug up for a cable to be laid. My BT line is a below ground one and not overhead. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: CAN I GET INFINITY IF I DONT HAVE CABLE TO MY HOUSE?

your existing BT phone line is what you need for infinity nothing to do with cable.  just need your exchnage upgraded then your street cabinet first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

You don't need optical cable for Infinity.

I have an old standard BT "copper pair" into my house and have Infinity working OK.

You just need the street cabinet equipment that your line is connected via to be upgraded. It then effectively goes optical to the new infinity cabinet and standard cables to the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you check out this link and click in the box "can I upgrade to Infinity" it will tell you if you can get it.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=34344#infinity

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Cable (coax cable) is provided by Virgin Media not Openreach. You will have to contact them to see if it's available, to get FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) you need to be connected to a copper cabinet and then have a FTTC cabinet beside it. This is fibre all the way to this point then copper to your home.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Great thanks. Appreciate your response.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Ok. Thanks for all responses. BT seem happy that they can install Infinity to my property (fibre to cabinet and then copper to house). Have taken the plunge. Hopefully Infinity will improve my existing 3Mb download speed!!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If you use the link that I gave earlier it should give you a good idea of the speed you can expect.

0 Ratings