cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterforrest
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

COLLAPSING INFINITY 1 SPEEDS

I've upgraded from BT broadband to Infinity 1. The first OpenReach engineer connected my homehub 5 to the extension socket in my study as had been homehub 3. This delivered 19mbps download and a poorish 1.5mbps upload (and phone problem!). The second OpenReach engineer corrected the phone fault but left me with a 8mbps download speed. The last OpenReach broadband technician moved my master socket and I now have my homehub 5 connected to it via the usual fibre plate/socket. Initially, download speed recovered to 15mbps and upload rose to 3.5mbps but gradually speeds have reduced until today they stand at 10.95mbps download and 2.82mbps upload. Ping latency is 50.75. When the first installation was achieving 19mbps the stated potential speed range was 18-27mbps and this is consistent with BT Broadband's estimate for speeds in my road. But, from visit number 2 as well as falling download speeds the potential speed range of 18-27mbps has collapsed too and today says it is in the range of 8.05mbps to 11.05mbps.

Although BT visit number 4 is on the cards, I am not confident that it will bottom my problem. Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: COLLAPSING INFINITY 1 SPEEDS

Please enter your phone number into the following checker and post the results. Don't forget that this is a publically viewable forum so do NOT include your phone number when you post the results: http://dslchecker.bt.com

Run the following speed tester. When the first test completes, click the "Further Diagnostics" button. In the ADSL/Fibre to the cabinet box, enter your phone number and run the second test. When second test completes, post the results: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

What estimate did BT give you when you signed up for Infinity?

0 Ratings
peterforrest
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Below results from dslchecker. The results I quoted earlier for today were from the BT wholesale speedtests 1+2. I was promised 18-27mbps download and this is still the rate quoted on the BT broadband wqeb site for my road. It is also the speed range given when I was first achieving 19mbps. Thanks for your help. BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxx on Exchange MUSWELL HILL is served by Cabinet 6 Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date High Low High Low FTTC Range A (Clean) 27.1 18 5 3.2 -- Available FTTC Range B (Impacted) 20.6 9.8 4.6 1.3 -- Available WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 10.5 -- 9 to 11.5 Available WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 10.5 Up to 1 9 to 11.5 Available ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Other Offerings FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
peterforrest
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Sorry, no such 1 to 12 exists. I go to hub manager, then troubleshooting, this click on helpdesk in the menu bar and then all is shows is an image of homehub 5 under a "settings" heading.

0 Ratings
peterforrest
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Have now found what I think you need from within settings:

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: +076284+1530003549 3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown] 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 02:51:04 6. Data Rate: 3549 / 11877 7. Maximum Data Rate: 3542 / 17509 8. Noise Margin: 6.2 / 10.1 9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 27.8 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 11. Data sent/received: 16.8 MB / 101.2 MB 12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

Your current down connection speed is 11.877Mbps.
The maximum is currently reported as 17.509Mbps.

Your down noise margin is 10.1dB. That suggests that the system has upped your connection time target noise margin from 6 to 9. It normally ups it in steps of three if error rates and/or disconnections are above certain thresholds.

If any line issues have been corrected then in theory the target noise margin will automatically be dropped back down to 6 if the connection is stable for a few weeks. That should mean an associated increase in connection speed. If still below the stated minimum of 18Mbps then you would need to raise it with BT yet again.

Don't manually reset the connection.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

You can look in the

toubleshooting > event log > WAN category

to see the recent connection time noise margins.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Note that if an engineer makes changes/fixes then he can usually request a line reset there and then to set the target up/down noise margins back to the default 6dB and a new connection to be established based on those targets.
0 Ratings