Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Cabinet Installation

Hi

The estate I live on seems to be supplied directly from the exchange.

When it was built, would it have been up to the builder whether a BT cabinet was installed or BT?

Checking on SuperFast Essex site, it seems that we are an island of single figure broadband whilst all around us is pushing 40Mb.

I would just like to know who would have made this short sighted decision.

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: Cabinet Installation

it would probably have been standard practice not to install a cabinet and connect the house near the exchange direct.  normally people conencted like that have enjoyed faster broadband than most and now they cannot get fibre until openreach erect a cab outside the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 38

I suppose it could have been faster back when the estate was built but now it is in the dark ages (7Mb).

I checked the BT ADSL check and it says I should be only getting 3Mb so I should be thankfully.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--1.5 to 5.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1.5 to 4.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

According to a chart of ADSL and ADSL 2+, I should be getting nearer 23Mb considering the distance away.

Graph of ADSL2+ and ADSL speed against distance

Any idea why the checker shows such a low speed?

I am glad I am only renting as nowadays not having fast broadband will knock the price of a house/flat down.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 38

can you post the adsl stats from your hub?

are you using the test socket with a new filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 38

20:21:35, 09 Jun.( 2580.720000) DSL noise margin: 23.00 dB upstream, 6.30 dB downstream
20:21:35, 09 Jun.( 2580.640000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 6720 Kbps downstream

No I am not using the test socket with new filter

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 38

from your stats you are on adslmax and not adsl2  as your exchnage has been upgraded moving to adsl2 should increase your conenction speed and would certainly increase you up speed

have you tried using test socket with a new fillter to see if that improoves your current conenction speed - especially if you have extension sockets

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 38

I assume they are not moving to adsl2 as everyone wants fibre.

I will try my socket with a new filter when I get home.

I have no extension sockets.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 38

BT do move customers to customers adsl2 but it can take a while after exchange upgraded. See what stats you get when connecting to test socket then assuming as goods before then I think we can ask mods to see if they can get you upgraded to adsl2. At worst your speed will be about the same but up stream will probably increase by about 100%

You may need a new contract to get upgraded but mods would advise you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Hi there

I bought new filter and plugged into test socket.

Here are the stats

13:39:21, 13 Jun.(50261.170000) DSL noise margin: 23.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
13:39:21, 13 Jun.(50261.090000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 7008 Kbps downstream

It would be nice to be upgraded to ADSL2 if fibre is not coming soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 38

stats look good and a bit more speed  see if mods can get you move to adsl2  mods will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings