cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 31 of 38

Re: Cabinet Installation

Thank you for all your help but I have now decided to move on to another provider who can give me faster broadband now not in 2017 when Superfast Essex Phase 2 kicks in and may or may not provide a cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 38

@peterh42 wrote:

Thank you for all your help but I have now decided to move on to another provider who can give me faster broadband now not in 2017 when Superfast Essex Phase 2 kicks in and may or may not provide a cabinet.

Unless its someone who does not use the copper wires into your house, its not going to be any faster, as you are a long distance from the exchange, and even ADSL2+, is not going to give you much improvement, as shown on your initial checks.

If its an LLU provider, it will make no difference, as the equipment they use is almost the same.

Remember, the actual cable distance is normally much longer than the physical distance from the exchange.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 1.5 to 5.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 4.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 33 of 38

As my previous mails have indicated with charts, the cables would have to go round most of the town to get this slow speed.

I wouldn't have thought 750m from the exchange is very far at all not compared to some I have seen on the message board.

The agents have been helpful and tried to work out the issues with the system but the speed is not acceptable for me with two boys with xboxes.  I noticed the lag playing Fifa at the weekend and the person my son was playing against has fibre so the issue is obviously our end.

My new provider says that I should be getting 17Mb as they are putting their own equipment in.

Of course we will wait and see whether they are telling the truth.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 38

@peterh42 wrote:

My new provider says that I should be getting 17Mb as they are putting their own equipment in.

Of course we will wait and see whether they are telling the truth.

If its in the exchange, it will make no difference at all. I would suspect they have just given you an average figure, without actually looking at the Openreach infrastructure. Many ISPs do this and say up to 17Mbs.

Openreach cable routings bear no relationship to the actual distance, as cables get split at joints, and some pairs are extended to provide service at remote locations, to save costs. Remember, Openreach only have to provide a basic telephone circuit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 38

I superfast Essex not part of the overall BDUK rollout and they are using openreach to provide fibre cabinets so you will not get fibre with superfast essex any quicker than with any ISP whether BT Retail or TT or Sky

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 38

as only sky and talk talk are providing LLU services in your area i assume it is one of them if it is then your speeds will be no better as they still use the same Openreach infrastructure
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 37 of 38

Just looked at Superfast Essex and they say the postcode I am in will be done sometime between 2017 and 2020!!!!

This has made up my decision to find somewhere else to rent in the new year.  I can't stand being in the dark ages.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 38

as I said not any faster than openreach bearing in mind that it is openreach that do the work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings