cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Cabinet full - Cannot continue purchase of new property!

We have just purchased our dream new build property and are due to move in June.  My wife works from home full time for a US based IT company and I often have to work remotely during the evenings and at weekends. As internet speed is critical for us as she does a lot of video conferencing, we use IP phones and I need to be able to send and recieve large files.

Before we put in an offer on the property I checked the available broadband speeds and BT Infinity was available with a guaranteed speed of 56Mbps. Although this is a far cry from the 200Mbps that we have through Virgin at our current house it is enough for our needs so we went ahead and purchased the property. 

As we move in next month I have started to contact utility companies only to find out that the cabinet is now full and there is a waiting list for BT infinity and the Minimum speed guarantee is now just 1Mb Smiley Sad

The exact wording on the BT site is:

BT Infinity is available in your area but due to a high demand there is currently no capacity left at your local cabinet. There will be a waiting period until we can activate the service.

I desperately need advice on what to do because we are going to have to pull out of the purchase unless we can get some reassurance that Infinity will become available in the very near future. To compound matters the house is semi rural and there is zero mobile reception inside the house so we were also going to be relying on Vodafone Sure Signals which also need a decent broadband connection!

I called BT Customer services but they couldnt help me and just told me I needed to wait.

The postcode of the new property is BH21 6RJ

Any gudance would be greatly appreciated...

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Cabinet full - Cannot continue purchase of new property!

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @tom_0787

Its Openreach not BT Retail that would increase the cabinet capacity.

You would just have to wait.

The only other option would be to have a leased line installed, but that could be expensive.

https://business.bt.com/products/broadband/bt-leased-lines/

2Mbps - 35Mbps symmetric speeds
  • 1-20 Users
  • 99.95% service availability
  • Faults fixed within 7 hours
  • Unlimited usage

As it full time IT work, it should really be a BT Business account, as Residential services are not intended for that sort of usage, and any faults could take a long time to be fixed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Use the address checker here http://dslchecker.bt.com

Which cabinet does it show for the property?

Have you exchanged contracts?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

This is what the availability checker says:

original.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

It is showing cabinet number 9. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 13

As there is a waiting list there is nothing you can do.

Assuming it is a new build property then had the developer worked with Openreach FTTP would have been available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Is that correct?
The property is a new build but is one of only 2 properties so its not a large developemnt. 

There is ducting from the road to the house for data services. Do you think FTTP would be an option?

How to I get placed on the waiting list??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@tom_0787 wrote:

Is that correct?

There is ducting from the road to the house for data services. Do you think FTTP would be an option?

There would have to a nearby fibre node, and as not even FTTP on demand is not showing, I would not expect there to be one.

Its probably too far out to make a fibre node viable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 13

Hi @tom_0787

Thanks for your posts.

I was under the impression that in order to be put on the waiting list you'll just need to place an order for services at the cabinet.  The order will go into a delay until capacity is available.  This is a "first come, first serve" basis.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings