Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianfreeman
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Cabinet full but I already have fibre broadband

Go to solution

I'm very unhappy with my existing fibre provider but when I try to sign up for BT fibre I'm told that the local cabinet is full. I already have fibre so surely it's just a case of changing providers. Or am I missing something? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cabinet full but I already have fibre broadband

Go to solution
The crazy process when you switch suppliers is that a new port is allocated for the new order.

Is your current provider an LLU provider such as Sky or TalkTalk?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
ianfreeman
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Yes, it's Sky. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
if you move providers with a fibre service then a cease and reprovide takes place therefore if your cabinet is full a waiting list exists and therefore your old port is allocated to the customer at the top of the waiting list the waiting time for a connection can vary from days to months and in the worst scenario if the cabinet cannot have any more line cards fitted and a new cabinet is needed that can take from months to a year or more
ianfreeman
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Understood. Many thanks.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Keep checking, it could just be awaiting a new line card, in which a whole bunch more ports will become available.

I don't understand why the process of ceasing and reproviding the port exists but I guess there must be a good reason.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Yeah, bit odd that you can't just switch providers but stay on the same VDSL Port?

There was a time when if people moved out of their home Openreach would leave the line connected to the existing VDSL Port (providing there was enough capacity) on the off chance that the person who moved in next took out a VDSL package but even if they didn't they said they tweeked the DSLAMS to allow ADSL to work through an inactive Port. This only lasted a short while though and was soon scrapped but they never said why.

So I'm sure theres a technical reason as to why but they've just not said what the reason is?
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
No one really knows. People over on thinkbroadband and kitz still can't come up with an answer.

Very strange indeed.
0 Ratings