cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Cabling question!

Go to solution

Hi, I've recently had BT Infinity installed but my master socket is on the other side of my house to where most of my devices are and I would like to connect wired rather than wireless to improve performance. 

My question is, what is the best cable to extend? The distance is about 20 metres and the best way is for me to run the cable around the outside of my house. So, do I use a cat5e or cat6 cable from the modem and then connect the hub at the other end or do I extend the rj-11 cable and conect everything at the other end? 

Or would either be good enough?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cabling question!

Go to solution
Use cat6 leave the modem where it is and then just move the hub
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

keep the modem where it is close to the master socket and use cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable to run from the modem to wherever you want the hub to be, extending the rj11 side will be more likely to lose you some speed on your connection

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If you route the cat5e or cat6 cable on the outside of the house you will need exterior grade ethernet cable as the normal grade will deteriorate when exposed to our climate.

See this article http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/cablingcat5/f/cat5outdoors.htm

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

My mate ran Cat5 cable outside, round his house, via flowerbeds in hose pipe. Got 100m of ethernet cable to £15 odd, 30m hose for £15 & some RJ45 faceplates. Used a vacuum cleaner to suck piece of string with cloth attached through the hose, then pulled the ethernet cable through. Pushed hose through hole in the wall, buried hose in garden, connected up job, done. That was couple of years ago on early Infinity role out.

It was necessary as master socket was in lounge and router and PC were all in garage extension.