cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Call Barring and hideously useless call centres

Well, after 3 attempts at trying to get a straight answer to this from customer services, 2 foreign gentlemen that didn't understand me in the slightest, and around an hour and a half on the phone, mostly being repeatedly asked to hold on a minute, i have arrived here in a hope to end my quest!

This morning I set up call barring, in a bid to stop the kids from running up huge bills calling mobiles from the landline. Now as I'm sure you know this also means blocking international and national numbers (seriously, who came up with that idea???) and this is where the problem begins. Neither myself nor my partner originate from where we live now, so to speak to any of our family, it requires a national call, same when it comes to the kids speaking to their grandparents. I assumed the call barring service would be the same as it was when I had Virgin, enter the pin, dial the number, make the call, job done, nice and simple, service still in place, kids still can't call out.

However, from what I can find online, and the woeful attempts of explanations by the Indian gentlemen, it seems I need to cancel the barring, hang up, make the call, hang up, reset barring. Surely there's a simpler way around this? If not, WHY NOT???????

Please BT, make things easier! I regularly deal with Sky and Orange and both their websites and call centres are far far far superior than what I've experienced so far from yourselves. We just switched over to BT, please don't make me regret it!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Call Barring and hideously useless call centres

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am afraid you are correct in the use of call barring, if you need to make a call you have to remove barring with the pin and then re-bar the calls it is not automatic setup after a call.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

In that case who on earth thought including national calls with international and mobile numbers on this service was a good idea??

National calls cost me nothing, I paid extra for that. Now I've paid even more to block them. This service needs a makeover! Every topic I read on this on here seems to be of much the same opinion. How can BT make it so complicated when Virgin make it so simple?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

Oh and thankyou for the welcome Dave, and apologies for the rant
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

No probs, you may want to look at a new phone that BT have just released that "may" help it is the BT 6500 Not fully checked it out but there is a parental lock on it that has barring to certain type of calls, I know mobiles is one type.

It can also block withheld, international and other numbers you choose to block so could stop PPI and cold callers.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

That might have been an option had we not already recently bought a new triple pack of BT phones, which unfortunately only come with a keypad lock, which took the eldest all of 3 seconds to figure out

0 Ratings