cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 91 of 160

Re: Caller Display Charge from Jan 2014

@Taffy078 wrote:

I've just rung 150 to sort out my Caller Display problem - an extremely positive, helpful and cheery lady in Scotland sorted it out in no time. And (off topic - forgive me) asked why I haven't yet added the free BT Sports to my Sky box. She also did that - no problems, no fuss.

Now that's what I call excellent customer service - I just wish that there was an easy way for me to tell BT!

Did they mention the 12 month contract you've just agreed to?

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 92 of 160

@pottyperson: tried the "Contact BT" link, went through the menus, didn't want to phone or write a letter (!!) so opted for the "email us" route.

Up came what reminds me of the old Tate & Lyle sugar cube, with a sad face and the message (white font on dark blue page)

"Aw, Snap!

Something went wrong while displaying this webpage.To continue, reload or go to another page.

If you're seeing this frequently, try these suggestions."

I didn't click on the link so some great service will now go unrecognised. Perhaps I should report the "Aw, Snap" fault to BT - via Contact BT - email us? Smiley Tongue

@Ectophile: at the very end of the conversation she said it would tie me in for 12 months although I could drop the extra £2 pm for HD at any time. I was happy with that because BT aren't charging me for the CAller Display for 12 months.

I haven't been told yet about general increases in prices. Presumably will want more from us to pay for the Sports. If they do, I do not consider myself legally tied in for 12 months at higher prices.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 93 of 160

Might have been a temporary glitch. Try again using another browser, though it's working here on Chrome.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 94 of 160

Hi Pottyperson. I too was using Chrome - I'll try later - the manager of the lady in question needs to know how brilliant she was. I won't post again as it's off-topic but I still haven't heard from BT about other increase - sorry just realised that that's off-topic too.

0 Ratings
Message 95 of 160

Would anyone at BT (options team?) know if an individual had successfully registered for the free Privacy and Caller Display 12 month deal?
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 96 of 160

Most people here are in agreement that costs are rising because of BT Sport. Not according to various business industrial commerce sites . They blame the new laws being implemented by the government after the public had "kicked up "about being tied down to a contract and BT/Virgin/et al put up the charges halfway through the contract. Before you were stuck. Now if they do it they cant stop you saying okay change of contract I can look elsewhere without liability. This will occur in 2014.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 97 of 160

@duncan10 wrote:

Most people here are in agreement that costs are rising because of BT Sport. Not according to various business industrial commerce sites . They blame the new laws being implemented by the government after the public had "kicked up "about being tied down to a contract and BT/Virgin/et al put up the charges halfway through the contract. Before you were stuck. Now if they do it they cant stop you saying okay change of contract I can look elsewhere without liability. This will occur in 2014.

You already have the option of cancelling a contract early if the supplier makes a significant change to the price mid-contract.

BT's existing Terms & Conditions - paragraphs 51 to 54 of http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF... already allow you to leave early.

In addition, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2083/pdfs/uksi_19992083_en.pdf) already apply.  See particularly Schedule 2, 1(l).  Some suppliers have argued that a price rise not more than the rate of inflation is reasonable, but anything above that allows you to terminate the contract immediately.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 98 of 160

Just be careful about what parts you actually cancel, as other services may depend on it, and you will be liable for cancellation charges on those services that can no longer be provided.

Things like call packages and added services like 1471, are safe to cancel, as nothing else depends on them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 99 of 160

The link to the Unfair Contracts regulations in my last post is broken this one should work: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2083/pdfs/uksi_19992083_en.pdf

Schedule 2 has a whole list of things that are unfair.

Message 100 of 160

Has anyone received the confirmation e-mail when they have pre-registered for the 12 month free BT Privacy and Caller Display? It is mentioned on the pre-registration 'page'. Perhaps there isn't one or you receive it after the 6th December.
0 Ratings