Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Caller ID not working

Go to solution

I have a BT4000 twin which I purchased in April 2013 and have had Caller ID for just over 18 mponths. It was working perfectly until I noticed it had stopped displying in about June this year. All Iget is incoming call and when I check the calls it shows no number. The 1471 service works however.

Ive made multiple frustrating calls to BT who told me a) theres no fault on the line an b) my caller ID is active.

My neighbour brought his new corded phone over this morning and we plugged it in - the display worked perfectly. He suggested this might mean there was a problem between the base unit and handset of my phone (which is 14 months old).

I saw on the forum something about #234# so I tried it and the message said - caller ID will not be displayed on this phone.

Is it coincidental that on 28th May this year I increased my broadband allowance from 10mg to unlimited - which of course constitutes a new contract - Id display stopped soon afterwards.

Where do I go from here is it worth trying one of those caller ID boxes or do I risk buying a new cordless phone - which may not work anyway. I should add none of the call blocking features work on the handsets either so I get loads of "cold callers".

If I buy one of the boxes - do I have to register it with BT and is there a charge.

Im tearing my hair out at the roots

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Caller ID not working

Go to solution
if another phone shows caller id then it sounds like it could be a phone issue have you tried your phone on your neighbours line ?
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Hi. Try *#234# to check caller id. You say the blocking does not work, without callerdisplay blocking wwon't work I am afraid. You may have to get back on to BT to re-enable it.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your suggestion - sadly my neighbour doesnt have Caller ID at home. Spoke with BT yesterday and they said they had deactivated mine and reconnected and I should have it back on this morning. As we speak it hasnt happened yet......

I guess Im off to town to buy a new set of phones.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
I did as you suggested and they told me they had deactivated then re-activated yesterday. they said it would be working by this morning. One call this am - no caller ID yet
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Re: Caller ID still not working

Go to solution

I am now another 2 weeks down the line and still no Caller ID.

I bought a new phone as BT Engineering Dept said that was the likely problem. On my return from the store there was message on 1571 from BT stating the problem with Caller ID was in fact a nationwide problem which BT was working hard to rectify. I was advised to ignore any text messages received about the problem and to wait to hear from BT. They also added they could not give a timescale for fixing the problem.....

Next day a BT engineer arrived to test my line as he'd been told Id reported a fault - line was fine - he went to the local exchange to check that too and said if he didnt return it was ok. He didnt return.

Ive had not a word from BT since and am beginning to think theyre taking me for a fool.

Has anyone else had this message from BT

Hello BT  - are you really stringing us all along with no intention of providing the service you advertise.