cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlanT
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Caller number unavailable

I have a bt landline and my service provider is bt.  A friend uses Sky as his telephone provider.  Over the last 6 weeks or so, when he rings me, my caller display says "unavailable".  Other bt users experience the same when he rings but those with non bt telephone services still see his number.  Do bt block sky numbers.  I can understand commercial warfare but the only looser in this instance is the bt user who does not know who is calling him

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Caller number unavailable

Did you see the threads here and here Alan? They might help.

AlanT
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Many thanks for your reply.  My caller display works fine and I now know that other sky users are coming up correctly on my phone. I suspect that my friend has done something to his phone accidently to make his number "unavailable" (even though sky say he has not)

Alan

Message 4 of 6

Aha, I see that it's a slightly different issue from the Caller Display one - "unavailable" not "incoming call". Anyway, I'm glad it's sorted Alan. And thanks for posting to let readers know Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
bfg
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Hi Alan,

I dont think there is a facility to block other service providers numbers, you can withhold your number by using the 1470 code or having it placed on your account (to permanatly put the 1470 prefix in).

it sounds like there might be a problem at your local exchange, it could be a problem with the way your freind connects to the BT Openreach part of the exchange (Sky will have their own equipment in the exchange to 'route' the calls through their billing platforms). it is possible that the Sky equipment is 'conflicting' with the part of the call which releases the number and therefore when he calls out his number is permenantly withheld to landlines (or certain service providers)

Your friend would need to get a fault reported through sky to BT Openreach so they can resolve.

0 Ratings
AlanT
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Many thanks for your comments, I will pass them on

Alan

0 Ratings