cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
01parkerd
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Calls on my line not made by me

Appreciate any advice you can give, I have been in contact with BT mutliple times on this issue but not getting anywhere.

I'm getting random calls turning up on my account, also (possibly related) my internet has not gone quicker than 3MB for 2 months whilst this has been going on, for the 12 months before I have always had a consistent 10MB.

There is 100% no chance these calls are coming from my line but BT keep telling me they cannot see a fault on my line and will not be able to reund me - to be honest the refund isn't a huge concern but the problem is still ongoing.

Once every 2 or 3 days a call turns up on my account to the same number, or a slight variation (01932503344) lasting between 30 seconds and two minutes.  I tried calling the number from my mobile and it rings once then gets a dialing tone. Calls are showing up at times I'm not in the house and at all times of day - no chance are they legitimate, don't even have a landline phone attached to the socket. 12 calls in this bill cycle so far, since 18th July.

Any idea what is going on or what I need to say to BT to get them to help?

Thanks,

Dan.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Calls on my line not made by me

Do you have a Sky box or alarm system connected to your line?

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

I have known central heating oil tanks to have auto diallers to ring the supply company to tell them you are low on fuel. suggest you remove the front plate of your main telephone socket .to ensure nothing is connected to the line.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
01parkerd
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

No sky box, alarms or fuel montiors, new build flat I moved into about 16 months ago so no old systems left plugged in that I can think of. Thanks for the suggestions both.

BT homehub is the only things plugged into the ports, it was a new homehub sent through about 6 or 8 weeks ago.  I was having issues with the internet when BT sent a new homehub, these calls do seem to have started after the new homehub arrived now I think about it.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Its possible your line is in itermittent contact with another. It can happen in the exchange if there is a loose bit of jumper wire, and may not show up on the line test.

A full quality check of your line is needed to see if there are any potential problems.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

Once you get a reply, make sure that you are logged into the forum, then click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they cannot deal with service issues that way.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail, when its your turn in the queue.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

This is the form you should see when you click on the link. If you do not see this form, then you have selected the wrong link.
When you submit the form, you will receive an enquiry number, so please keep a note of it

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 7

Hi 01parkerd,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll get this investigated. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 7 of 7

Many people these days don't use the phone line for telephony just to 'host' their broadband service so could be connected to someone else's service (and someone else using yours) and not notice it, if you haven't done this already, dial 17070 (or plug a phone in and dial 17070) you should get an AVR along the lines of ' This service is defined as ' and your number read out, this would at least confirm the service at your property is the service you pay for, a problem like this can be tricky to get the service provider to accept as when they test the line, it tests ok, they don't know if it's at your property or not, doing this at least confirms the service at the appropriate address, if you use the line for telephony and get incoming calls ok , and when you make outgoing calls your number is displayed correctly on the phone of whoever you called, then (obviously) this isn't going to be your problem
0 Ratings