cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wildthing
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Calls with no one on other end

I keep getting calls and on the occasions I do answer they phone att he other end is disconnected, This has being going on for months and when I check 1471 the number isn't available, this can happen up to 3 times in a day.

No company has my landline number except BT, unless they have passed it on, I only give out a mobile number and only to those I wish to have a contact number. Is there any way to find out who these calls are from? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Calls with no one on other end

these sound like the standard computer autodialer for sales calls.  they are set to dial a series of phone numbers whether they exist or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
wildthing
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

That's what I thought, but as I sit next to the phone and pick it up on the first ring, when I decide to answer,  I had thought it may be something else

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@Webby wrote:

that won't stop international or out of area calls. if there is nobody at the other end the TPS is pointless as the idea is to report them - but report who?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@imjolly wrote:

@Webby wrote:

that won't stop international or out of area calls. if there is nobody at the other end the TPS is pointless as the idea is to report them - but report who?

Surely the first point about TPS is to stop the calls, including those dialled automatically. Agreed, you can't report a call if you don't know its origin but TPS registration will at least stop some of them, hopefully all.

We've been with TPS for years; in that time I can count the cold calls we've received on the fingers of one finger, and that was from BT! 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

pottyperson then must have been lucky or nobody wants to sell to you  LOL

this is from the TPS FAQ

Recorded and automated sales calls including silent calls do not fall within the remit of TPS. TPS does not stop other call types such as market research, debt collection, scam calls and general nuisance calls.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

@imjolly wrote:

pottyperson then must have been lucky or nobody wants to sell to you  LOL

this is from the TPS FAQ

Recorded and automated sales calls including silent calls do not fall within the remit of TPS. TPS does not stop other call types such as market research, debt collection, scam calls and general nuisance calls.

Thanks imj - I didn't realise they were specifically excluded.  Maybe I don't get calls because they've hacked my bank account and realise it would be a waste of time. Smiley Sad

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@pottyperson wrote:
Thanks imj - I didn't realise they were specifically excluded.  Maybe I don't get calls because they've hacked my bank account and realise it would be a waste of time. Smiley Sad

sorry but that made me ROFL_C12.gif

worth the star

0 Ratings
wildthing
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

As part of the package the BT rep said about putting my number on the TPS list I agreed but maybe they didn't or these companies are using old lists either way it won't hurtt o register the number myself and i could possibly have fun with those who do call and post the good satuff on youtube Robot LOL

0 Ratings