cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Cambourne - Race for Infinity - Terrible internet Speeds of 0.17 Down and 0.23 up

Having moved to Cambourne in South Cambridgeshire over 2 years ago being assured by BT that after Cambourne had won the race to infinity and homes would be provided with fibre I have come to the realisation that this is not true and looks to have been a marketing ploy from the company. 

My partner needs a good connection for work as he's a video producer on YoutTube/Twitcg and we are currently getting 0.17 Down and 0.23 up, trying to load the BT forums up has taken some time and after spending 30mins yesterday talking to BT with them telling me the speed I am receiving is fast I'm getting very frustrated. He is unable to work on these speeds and I'd hate to move house just because of a bad connection.

I've tried contacting people about the fibre roll out but I am told that not all houses are eligible and they must have been built in or before 2012 with ours being complete December 2012. 

I've heard of many people getting fantastic success from these forums and with me barely able to read my emails and being told that the speed I'm receiving is 'fast' is there anythng else I can do?

I run a wired connection and we run this to the test socket. I Was told I would get a call this morning to check the connectuion but seems that was another broken promise. 

I'm sorry for the upset post, over the last two weeks our connection has been so unbearable it's been frustrating and we have had no support dealing directly with BT.

Is that speed acceptable?

Is there something else we can try?

Many thanks for any support or answers in advance, 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cambourne - Race for Infinity - Terrible internet Speeds of 0.17 Down and 0.23 up

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Re: Cambourne - Race for Infinity - Terrible internet Speeds of 0.17 Down and 0.23 up

Hope these helps, seem to show even worse on this.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.11 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :1.76 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.42 Mbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 1.25 Mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Can you post the adsl stats from your router please

was btspeedtester done with a wired or wireless connection

can you enter your ohone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Hi imjolly, 

The speedtest was done with a wired connection the homehub is connected into the test socket. 

Hope the following is the correct information.

11:15:28, 12 Nov.( 861.820000) DSL noise margin: 8.00 dB upstream, 10.60 dB downstream
11:15:28, 12 Nov.( 861.750000) DSL line rate: 416 Kbps upstream, 1760 Kbps downstream

Exchange CAXTON is served by Cabinet 9

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

I have just carried out the line test also dialing 17070 and pressing 2 and this seemed to be silent so no issue there I'm guessing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Your connection is above the predicted estimate if you can maintain your connection for 3/5 days then post back the forum mods should be able to reset your noise margin which will improve your connection further
Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

Thanks John, do I just post the ADSL figures again in a few days?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

yes please and your connection time as well please
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Could you run btspeedtester diagnostic test again as the download speed on previous post was below the acceptable level. If again then need mod help

0 Ratings