cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astar27
Expert
Message 21 of 46

Re: Campaign To All0w Level Of Interleaving / i.e Turn It Off !

it will come eventually is about as much as anyone can say. you can change it with a lot of hassle through the right channels and bypassing your isp, but technically that method doesn't exist ;). some openreach employees choose what level to have it at.
0 Ratings
Playful
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 46

Sorry I'm guessing most people didn't read my post about DLM profiles from Openreach? If your going to whinge and complain on a thread at least have the decency to read other peoples replies?
0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 23 of 46

@Playful wrote:
Sorry I'm guessing most people didn't read my post about DLM profiles from Openreach? If your going to whinge and complain on a thread at least have the decency to read other peoples replies?

A good post which was basically magnified by marion's post. B.T will just have to incorporate the Speed profiles in order to gain access to fastpath, which under interleaving set to automatic is already available, just not consistently. 

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 24 of 46

The problem is that VDSL is way way more sensitive than ADSL and if fastpath was ok today there is no guarentee that it will be tomorrow, I noticed that on my line there are large peaks and troughs of the max attainable for what ever reason over time.

Even if somebody was to set the fast profile if the line couldn't tolerate the criteria then DLM would just reset it anyways and removing DLM on a line if a customer requested it so they could have fastpath could have all sorts of problems of which the customer would complain about.

0 Ratings
flamey
Contributor
Message 25 of 46

Interesting playful, then the additional profiles would be of no use anyway in this instance. A manual change being the only option.

That's a fair point Deathaxe, although can easily be overcome if a capable user desires by setting appropriate caps to swap for reduced latency if there was full control of the line. The chances of a CP like this being implemented are pretty much zero though.
0 Ratings
lfletch
Contributor
Message 26 of 46

hey use to be on fastpath and bt did some matinance in the area lost connection when they were doing this

Now it has me in interleaving

been connected 20 solid days but fasthpath still not back on 

Does anyone know if they have had interleaving on and its gone back to fastpath?

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 27 of 46

I had a very bad line for a time (old internal wiring that the Infinity installer didn't fix right), which put me onto a very slow speed and interleaving.  I fixed the problem, and DLM eventually increased my speed and turned off interleaving.  It took a couple of weeks before I saw any improvements, and another week or so before everything was as it should be.  Probably a little over your 20 days before interleaving was turned off.

DLM has turned interleaving back on since then even though my line seems pretty stable and all the stats show good things. I'm not too worried as I'm not a gamer and more interested in overall speed and stability.  I used to run interleaved when I was on BE, even though I had the option to go fastpath.

0 Ratings
lfletch
Contributor
Message 28 of 46

did you have to resync the modem to get fastpath back on after them 20+days?

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 29 of 46

did you have to resync the modem to get fastpath back on after them 20+days? No.  

Initially, I disconnected/reconnected the router each morning to make sure that any DLM profile sync improvement was refelected in the IP/BRAS profile.  Later, I unlocked the modem so that I could see the stats, and did not bother to do anything on the router if the stats were unchanged.  The unlocking process was the only time I disconnected the modem.

DLM schedules any changes it is going to make (sync speed/interleaving), and then typically applies them at 2:00 am.  That happens outside user control.  In the normal DLM process I don't think rebooting the modem will ever be beneficial.  However, there may be abnormal conditions that are improved by a modem reboot.

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 30 of 46

Looking at the three profiles offered by Openreach, the description doesn't explicitly cover interleaving.  'speed' might mean high throughput, or low latency.  The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.  When I was on BE and had the choice, I opted for interleaving rather than fastpath because I got slightly higher and more consistent throughput.  Not being a gamer I wasn't too concerned by the higher resulting latency.

That said, my latency to BBC on BE interleaved (19ms) was better than on Infinity when I was on fastpath (20ms).  BE noninterleaved was 11ms, and my current Infinity is 28/29ms.  BT's absurd routing is more to blame for latency issues than DLM's interleaving.

0 Ratings