cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfletch
Contributor
Message 31 of 46

Re: Campaign To All0w Level Of Interleaving / i.e Turn It Off !

hello sjtp did your line go back to fastpath mine did took about 22 days was fine for about 33 days sync speed

my moddem lost sync and now back on interleaving after one dropped connection lol

looks like i will have to wait another 20+ days for fastpath to come back on or never return

lost 10 meg also from 99 max rate with a sync speed of 70

this DLM system is pants my line is stable with fastpath on 33 days connected i lost sync once 

i have checked the logs

So i have no idea why its changed my profile speed 

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 32 of 46

Mine did go back to fastpath, but came off it again some time between 2 Sept and 18 Sept and has not come back.  The line has been stable since then and reasonably fast (74 sync on an estimate of 58).  I'm not sure what caused the drop back to interleaving.  Unfortunately the Vista task scheduler decided to stop running my monitoring task over the 2 to 18 Sept period, so I don't have too much detail.

As I'm not a gamer and other features are going well, I haven't been too concerned about the interleaving.  The silly routing is adding more to latency than the interleaving, anyway. (29 to bbc).

Current figures are interleaving: 1173,  delay 8.0ms.

0 Ratings
boe323
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 46

I was connected for 62 days, interleave was off on upload and minimum on download, i had a ping between 5 and 10 and 15, but since thursday night my line just stopped connecting even though the modem was synced, my ip dissapeared, and could no longer comunicate with exchange, been like it untill yestertday afternoon when i just came back on, BT plain lied to me when i rang, saying my equipment is broke etc, and it wasnt something at there end, well, i knew it was something to do with BT, there was maintanence at 12am and should of finished after 4 hours, obviously they didnt finish or forgot to connect me back to the exchange, anyway, ive lost loads of speed, and i mean loads, interleave is on full for upload and download, my pings are like 30/40 at the closest server to me, its just a plain joke, they could of at least reset my profile as it was there messing around that screwed my line AGAIN!. I do have an engineer coming out, maybe i can get that guy to reset it?.

0 Ratings
lfletch
Contributor
Message 34 of 46

think it was  thursday when mine went down also

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 46

Ever since it was installed in July 2011,my ping [to London at least] has always been between 5ms and 10ms and to Europe between 10ms and about 20ms,to the US depending on distance it never exceeds about 104ms.

Does this mean that I have always been on fastpath.?

I have had outages and power failures during that time that have sometimes lowered my profile,but ping latency has never changed.

BTW I use the 2750n combined modem/router.

http://speedtest.net/result/2364443785.png

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 36 of 46

If you were getting 5ms pings anywhere you were certainly on fastpath.  Interleaving depth can vary, but typically once it is on it adds around 8ms to any ping.

You can get a good idea of it by doing a tracert to almost anywhere (eg 'tracert bbc.co.uk').  If you are wired, the first line should show 1ms (or <1ms).  If the second shows something up to about 7ms you are probably fastpath.  If it is more than that, you are probably interleaved.  The extra delay caused by interleaving is approx the value shown on that second line minus 5 to 7ms.  eg, the 15ms I have indicates interleaving delay of around 8ms.

>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131] 
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 217.32.147.100
3 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 217.32.147.142

ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 46

Thanks for the info sjtp.

0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 38 of 46

Just wanted to say, this interleaving and DLM thing I dont get?. I turn my equipment off everynight before bed time and when I turn it back on I always get the same good speeds, 20ms, no packet loss and 0 jitter, so I cannot see the big issue about not turning the equipment off and getting interleaving and this DLM kicking in, my online gaming exeprience seems top notch to me!. 😉

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 39 of 46

@MBR123  There are various thresholds and rules that DLM applies.  I'm not sure anyone on this forum knows exactly what they are; even less the what the exact effect of the rules is.  They may well vary from one cabinet to another as they roll out new firmware etc.  I believe saying 'we' below speaks for most of the posters on this forum.

So, we can be sure that turning the modem on and off 'often' will cause problems with DLM.  We can be pretty sure that turning it off and on 'occasionally' won't cause any problems.  Also some evidence that turning it off and leaving it off for 'some time' is less likely to cause DLM problems than turning it off and on in 'quick succession'.  Also, we don't know whether DLM behaves the same way while in steady state as it does over the few week period of recovering from a fault.

What we can't be sure is exactly where the boundary lies between 'often' and 'occasionally'; or between 'some time' and 'quick succession'; or how different 'recovery behaviour' is from 'steady state' behaviour.

When we often give advice 'never turn off the modem, or only where absolutely necessary', we are probably being over-cautious.  We don't know the very best exact advice, but we do know that getting it wrong can make DLM pretty mean.

From your evidence, turning the modem off each night and turning it on again next day while DLM is in a steady state gets in under the thresholds and behaves well.  That's very useful extra information, and excellent you are getting such good service (as I am, though with higher pings).  I also hope I've helped you get why I (and others) would still be reluctant to suggest a daily off and on to someone with issues.

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 46

As you can see from my posts above,I am one of the lucky ones,or as I like to believe,it can be achieved by all if they know exactly how to keep online and to not upset the DLM system.

Firstly you have to break a few rules and know your system[s] like the back of your hand,and building and setting up those system yourself helps because even the sttings in the OS`s are critical.

Never [unless you have no choice] just leave everything set the same as the retailer set them,and even though it can be expensive,never use the sub standard devices supplied by most ISP`s.

To get a perfect constant internet connection [barring normal outages and power cuts],everything must be octimized properly and DNS [name servers] picked and used for thier reliabilty and stabilty of connection rather than just raw speed.

The average user is at the mercy of the ISP`s and the retailers,but I quess computer science and fully understanding how to setup OP`s and even the BIOS is not everyones kettle of fish.

But imo leaving whatever modem on at all times is a good idea,as if it is disconnected,your IP is changed due to the fact that it is dynamic,and in theory that constitutes a new connection to the DLM system and it then starts watching your line more closely for any futher re-sets etc.

The router can safely be shut down at night or other time,as it is just a local switch anyway.

Put another way,when we go to bed we do not turn off our freezers,fridges and most TV`s are left on standby,so why shutdown the modem,?,it is just a stand alone device that keeps your internet connection alive,just like the freezer keeps your food fresh.

0 Ratings