cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sovereign11
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can BTBB support two routers on one line?

I have had a BTHH3 (replaced a Belkin Wireless box) for several months now and it's working fine.

My problem is that my daughter has a Nintendo DS and I am getting fed up with having to switch the BTHH3 security to WEP (only setting supported by the DS) from WPA2 (used by all our computers).

If I configured the Belkin to only use WEP, and restricted access to the DS's MAC address, could I plug it into another socket? Would it work or would my BTHH3 object?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can BTBB support two routers on one line?

you can't connect 2 routers on the one line

have you thought of using powerline adapters?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sovereign11
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

How would they help?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

if you had powerline adapters then plug one beside the hub and connect with ethernet cable then plug the other where daughter works and then connect laptop with ethernet cable to powerline and then pair the powerline adapters.  laptop now has cable connection - no need for wifi security changes and faster connection for daughter as now cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sdrpl01
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I believe that you can connect a 2nd home hub  to your main hub via Ethernet. (dont connect to your phone line though) 

set the 2nd home hub to wep and change its default ip address so it does not clash with the main hub.

However you will be jepodising your security and network by selecting WEP.

There are websites describing how to do the above.

I'll see if i can find it if this would help you.

regards

Leney

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sovereign11
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Daughters DS won't connect via cable (supports wireless only). I also don't have a spare port on the hub.
0 Ratings
Sovereign11
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi Leney,

Thanks for the offer but it is not needed. I've seen several sites that tell you how to do that but I don't have a spare port on the BTHH3 (would have to buy a new switch and add another socket to my UPS line, probably have to upgrade that as well as it wouldn't take the increased load) so haven't planned on doing it that way. Have been trying to use the kit that I have in hand instead of needing to purchase anything new.
0 Ratings