cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Can I block a certain website?

Is it possible to block a website from the internet. I'd like to ban facebook if thats possible.

Regards

Sakil

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I block a certain website?

It all depends on what router you are using, and how many computers you are trying to block.

If you can provide this information, then someone might be able to help. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Kids spending too much time on it? Worried about privacy issues?

My immediate thought was use the hosts file if you have Windows systems on desktops/laptops at home.

Have a look here:

http://www.guidingtech.com/4868/edit-hosts-file-block-websites/

But if it's kids with handhelds or other non-Windows devices that can access the net off your home LAN, then that won't work.

As Keith says, please send more information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Your browser might help. For example, while Google Chrome doesn't have a built-in facility there are extensions which claim to do it. "Nanny for Google Chrome" says it can block chosen websites completely, at particular times, or after a specified period of continuous connection. It looks good, but I can't advise for or against as I've had no need to try it.

There may be similar add-ons for other browsers. Try an internet search.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

the hots file is probs the best way if you only want to block it from computer but of cause it wont block phones using 3g or anythng like that

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

sorry for the late reply

I require it to block on a laptop and a desktop. Currently I'm using the homehub v2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Provided that you are the only person that has admin rights on the computers, then you can use a free service called OpenDNS.

You can set up a free account which enables to to block certain types of web domains, and specific domains.

Full details are here http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/

On the site it tells you how to set-up your computers network settings, you cannot do it on the router because the home hub 2 does not allow you to change DNS settings. Its quite simple to do, but if another person had admin rights, then they can undo the settings on the computers.

Its very effective and you can view a list of the sites that have been visited, and those that were blocked.

If you need any help, let me know.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

To block certain websites on your PC, here' s the trick (for Windows):

Step 1: Click the Start button and select Run. Now copy and paste the following text in that Run box:

c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Choose “Notepad” to open it.

Step 2: Go to the last line of the file, hit the enter key and type in the following format:

127.0.0.1 xxxx.com

Eg: If you want to block facebook.com and myspace.com

127.0.0.1 facebook.com

127.0.0.1 myspace.com

Step 3: Save the modified file

That’s it. None of the above sites can be visited on your computer.

One per line if you want to add more web sites.

In this way you can only block website one by one, if you want to block websites in large scale, you can use a professional web filter which will help you easily block websites by keywords or URL.