cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthony_
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

Can I cancel my broadband contract with 14 days?

Go to solution

Hi. I phoned up to register for the standard broadband package on the 12th (9 days ago) and my BT broadband was activated on the 19th (2 days ago).

According to the BT usage monitor I've used 1.38 of the 10Gb monthly usage which I find rediculous considering I only do light browsing and am well on my way to paying the excessive costs for going over the limit.

I haven't been able to find a straight answer on if I can cancel my Broadband contract without penalty as it's within 14 days. If I cancel will I incur charges?

I refuse to upgrade to the unlimited plan which is almost double the cost of my current plan (£18!) when the broadband usage is clearly a scam and PlusNet do unlimited for £12.50.

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 41

Re: Can I cancel my broadband contract with 14 days?

Go to solution

BT's cancellation policy is in their Terms and Conditions

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

Your Cancellation Rights

1. You can cancel a service and any equipment we supply that is needed to use that service, anytime up to 14 calendar days starting from the day after the day we accepted your order. If you do cancel you must return any equipment already supplied, within 14 days of telling us that you have cancelled your order. If you cancel after we start to provide the service, you must pay the service subscription charge for any period that the service was made available to you and for any use of that service not covered by the subscription charge, up to the date that you told us you wanted to cancel. You will also need to pay any connection or activation charges associated with that service – including the full cost of charges that were discounted or advertised as free as a condition of taking the service on the terms that you agreed when we accepted your order.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 41

Go to solution

Cancelling will be expensive so better looking at cause of your usage - backup? Recent ipad/iphone update?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
anthony_
Contributor
Message 4 of 41

Go to solution

That's excellent thanks, so it looks I won't be charged if I send the router back tomorrow?

I'm planning on switching to PlusNet which does unlimited broadband for £12.50, should I ask for a MAC code when I make contact with BT?

Also will I be okay to cancel using this BT online form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49679/~/how-to-cancel-within-14-days

Or should I phone?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 41

Go to solution

You will be charged the full cancellation charges, as your service has been activated.

The 14 days only apply from the date of your order, to the date of activation.

"If you cancel after we start to provide the service, you must pay the service subscription charge for any period that the service was made available to you and for any use of that service not covered by the subscription charge, up to the date that you told us you wanted to cancel. You will also need to pay any connection or activation charges associated with that service – including the full cost of charges that were discounted or advertised as free as a condition of taking the service on the terms that you agreed when we accepted your order"

You said "my BT broadband was activated on the 19th (2 days ago)."

Therefore you will have to pay the full cost of cancellation, which is going to be very expensive.

This page may help you to find the reason for your high usage

Why is my broadband usage so high?

anthony_
Contributor
Message 6 of 41

Go to solution

*sigh*

So BT is basically blackmailing me into switching over to their overexpensive unlimited package. Worse still they expect me to pay the full £18 every month when as a new customer I could have gotten a much better deal (half price first 6 months then £16 after that).

I'm never recommending BT to anybody and will be vocal about that too.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 41

Go to solution
the terms and conditions are very clear and can be viewed before purchase
0 Ratings
anthony_
Contributor
Message 8 of 41

Go to solution

Nonsense. There's absolutely no way I've used 1.38Gb in 2 days and searching through the forums it looks like other people have had similar complaints. BT is clearly running a scam and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 41

Go to solution

BT are not blackmailing you to do anything. It is up to you to find out why/what is causing the usage you have and to cut down in order to stay within your usage allowance which is hardly BT's fault.

The basic broadband usage allowance is not much and I can imagine it being easily exceeded even with "light" usage.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 41

Go to solution

@anthony_ wrote:

*sigh*

So BT is basically blackmailing me into switching over to their overexpensive unlimited package. Worse still they expect me to pay the full £18 every month when as a new customer I could have gotten a much better deal (half price first 6 months then £16 after that).

I'm never recommending BT to anybody and will be vocal about that too.

Actually you may find that the discount still applies even if you upgrade the package, so it may only be a small amount extra.

My father was on a special discounted deal, and only paid a few pounds more to upgrade.

If you go online to upgrade your package, you can actually see how much more you will pay, before you place the order.

Whatever the discount was, it will be taken off the price of the unlimited package, so you may be pleasantly surprised Smiley Wink