johnmcbride1109
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Can I cancel?

Go to solution

I ordered BT infinity at my new home on the 7th July and had an install date for the 17th July.

17th July came and went with no install taking place, I had the router plugged in all day, no communication what so ever about what was happening. I called 10mins after 6pm and was told I will now be updated every 48hours which would now be the Monday. I was so angry by this I lodged an official complaint - don’t know if that has any effect. Why would you not communicate this, would they have ever told me?

I still don’t know why it didn't go ahead.

Monday - Irish woman calls in relation to my official complaint with some excuse about a supply problem for a "part" external to the property. I'll get another update in 48hours. I asked will I need to available on Wednesday - no it's just an update. 😞

Wednesday - Indian lady calls with another update to say there is still a problem (really) and I'll get another update, wait for it.... Monday (what happened to 48hrs?)

I've been in my new property with no telephone or internet now for over 3 weeks and I believe come Monday I'm going to be told the EXACT same thing again.

Also when I took out this deal I selected infinity 1 @ £20/month (rubbing salt on a wound) - I've waited this long and have a 14 day cooling off period - can I just cancel and take out the deal at £10.99. I assume the supply chain problem will be resolved by then anyway... I wouldn't dare think as gesture of good will they will put on the £10.99 deal, that'd be crazy!

Thanks,

John

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Can I cancel?

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Is your new home part of a new build?

Its Openreach that provide the infrastructure for all service providers apart from cable, so they may have issues that are going to take time to resolve, so cancelling would not help unless you have a provider who does not use Openreach.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

HI @johnmcbride1109 and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry there's been a delay in getting you connected. Your best bet would be to contact the online orders help team who should be able to check what's going on with this. Can you try that and let us know how you get on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
johnmcbride1109
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe- no it's all old house built in 1945, the old person livining it had telecare and an alarm all connected to the phone line. Which makes this even more weird!

I know openreach do all installs but I feel like canceling and getting the discounted rate, even if that means waiting longer.

0 Ratings
johnmcbride1109
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

@DavidM wrote:

HI @johnmcbride1109 and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry there's been a delay in getting you connected. Your best bet would be to contact the online orders help team who should be able to check what's going on with this. Can you try that and let us know how you get on?

Cheers

David

Thanks David, i'll do that now.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

@johnmcbride1109 wrote:

I feel like canceling and getting the discounted rate, even if that means waiting longer.

I am not sure that you would be considered a new customer, and get the discounted price, if you cancelled, if you are an existing BT Retail customer at the moment.

Even though there was a phone line there, it would have been disconnected, and the route may have be allocated to another customer.

If you are moving to an area which has suffered from bad weather, the Openreach could be dealing with faults, as they take priority over installs.

0 Ratings
johnmcbride1109
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

Anyone know what this means?

"As I can see the order is with the line plant planning team . They conduct the survey and planning work for cabling . They update the details on 01/07/2016 . really sorry for the delay caused . I will keep the track of your order and will call you on 01/07 to update about the progress"

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

It probably means that there is a shortage of spare pairs from the cabinet to your house. Sometimes there are "spares", but they may need testing first to prove continuity.

0 Ratings
johnmcbride1109
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks again @Keith_Beddoe your posts are very informative!

how long would this testing take? Its a small village I've moved to with no new housing developments so I wouldn't have thought there;d be a shortage spare pairs.

does @DavidM know what this could mean?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

@johnmcbride1109 wrote:

how long would this testing take? Its a small village I've moved to with no new housing developments so I wouldn't have thought there;d be a shortage spare pairs.

It could be a very  old cable with a limited number of "good" pairs left. Or it could mean that the existing local cable is full, and a new one needs to be provided, which could take a long time.

The notes you got back from the UK chat team, would indicate there is no line plant available, and it will have to go for survey and planning, so I would not expect anything to happen very soon. If you have a mobile service, and mobile broadband, that may be your best option for now.

Any advance cost that you have paid so far, would be credited back to you on future bills, and you will not be actaully paying for service until it has been provided.

You may not be the only person waiting for new line plant

@DavidM could look at the progress notes provided by Openreach, but would not have access to Openreach records.

I think you will just have to wait for an update.

I will unmark this thread as solved for now, but please can you update this thread with any progress.

0 Ratings