cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tidybeard
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Can I change the exchange I'm connected to?

Hi all,

New to the forums but have been a BT broadband customer for many years (and BT ISDN before that!).

I'm currently in a fairly rural area about 1.5 miles from Middlewich in Cheshire. I believe I am connected to the Warmingham exchange, which is about the same distance away from my house as Middlewich.

Our current broadband speed is <1MB/s and with four of us in the house it's become a bit of a problem! Watching a 240p Youtube video is a no-hope, and iPlayer is a pipe dream!

I believe the Middlewich exchange has recently been upgraded and can now support BT Infinity, but the Warmingham exchange has not, and it seems there are no plans to do so (it's not on the list, anyway).

I've been paying £30/month forever and I'm hoping it's possible to have our line moved to the Middlewich exchange. I don't mind if this means the phone number changes, or if we have to cease the current line and order a new one, or even if it's fairly costly to do so as it would be worth it to us.

Can anyone advise if this is possible please, and if so what is the process?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I change the exchange I'm connected to?

@Tidybeard wrote:

Hi all,

New to the forums but have been a BT broadband customer for many years (and BT ISDN before that!).

I'm currently in a fairly rural area about 1.5 miles from Middlewich in Cheshire. I believe I am connected to the Warmingham exchange, which is about the same distance away from my house as Middlewich.

Our current broadband speed is <1MB/s and with four of us in the house it's become a bit of a problem! Watching a 240p Youtube video is a no-hope, and iPlayer is a pipe dream!

I believe the Middlewich exchange has recently been upgraded and can now support BT Infinity, but the Warmingham exchange has not, and it seems there are no plans to do so (it's not on the list, anyway).

I've been paying £30/month forever and I'm hoping it's possible to have our line moved to the Middlewich exchange. I don't mind if this means the phone number changes, or if we have to cease the current line and order a new one, or even if it's fairly costly to do so as it would be worth it to us.

Can anyone advise if this is possible please, and if so what is the process?

Many thanks.

Hi Tidybeard,

It would be cheaper to move house, I am not being flippant I am being seriousSmiley Indifferent

Just keep hoping that your exchange will be on the next list.

[edit] In the meantime why not post your router stats and BT speedtest results with the IP profile in the broadband section, members might be able to help/suggest ideas to increase your speed.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Tidybeard
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thank you toekneem.

The current Mrs Beard won't let us move house for the foreseeable future :-).

What sort of costs are we looking at? Is it technically possible?

Will have a look at the router stats too, thank you.

Regards

TB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

@Tidybeard wrote:

Thank you toekneem.

The current Mrs Beard won't let us move house for the foreseeable future :-).

What sort of costs are we looking at? Is it technically possible?

Will have a look at the router stats too, thank you.

Regards

TB

Hi.

I don't believe it is possible, and if it was, apart from the cost possibly many many thousands of pounds you have the next customer saying why can't I get fibre as well.

It would possible be cheaper getting a leased line

http://www.managedcomms.co.uk/articles/bt-leased-line-costs

There is a constant roll out of exchanges , but even when an exchange has been enable for fibre it does still not mean you will get it. At the present time only a percentage of local street cabinets are fibre enabled, so if your local street cabinet is not enabled you would not get it anyway.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Tidybeard
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thank you again. Will look into a leased line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
West
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

The way the local network is wired is form a D (Distribution) side to the cabinet where it is crossconnected to an E (Exchange) side. The E side cable only go back to the local exchange so I woould say no you cannot change exchanges.

A leased line may help but if it comes from another exchange very very expensive. 

0 Ratings