cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
zanuck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Can I connect my HP PSC1510 All-In-One to my BT Home Hub V1?

I've got a HP PSC1510 All-In-One printer, scanner, copier connected via ethernet (RJ45) cable directly to my desktop PC.

My PC is cabled to my BT Home Hub V1 (white).

My daughter and son connect wirelessly to my Home Hub and thence to the Internet.

Does anyone know if (and how) I can connect my PSC1510 to my Home Hub and so allow it to be shared by my hardwired PC and the wirelessly connected laptops?

I've looked in HP PSC1510 help but can't find anything that does help........

Many TIA

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can I connect my HP PSC1510 All-In-One to my BT Home Hub V1?

if its an ether net printer does it have a built in printserver ?

the documentation with the printer should say yea or nay but you can always check with the manufacturer about it,
if not then the printer cant connect to the hub directly as the hub wont act as the print server, if it does the njust plufg it into one of hte ports on the hub and install the software on each pc/laptop so it can be linked to.

failign that you could keep it conected to the desktop pc and simply share it across the home network (pro's no extra things needed, cons need main pc switched on to use from another system) its your choice how you set it up but you can share just the printer without sharing files, you just have to follow the wizard on it from each pc.
0 Ratings
zanuck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

NanoTim,

The printer is about 3 (4?) years old, still going strong albiet the paper feed wheels squeak a bit... I don't think it can act as a built in print server, but the doumentation is a bit weak.

I had thought about using my desktop PC as a print server, but the downside as you say, means it has to be on all of the time.

Looks like I'm stuck with the present method of printing - son or daughter sends me the file in an email and I print it for them.

Thanks - Z
0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

it looks like it might be possible to use it as a newrok printer so you might like to take a look here;

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01577383&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=428800

perhaps there are some other pages you will need to look at as well in order to get things running smoothly 😛
0 Ratings
Zwilnik
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

With some printers you can use the USB port on the hub. On the HH V1 its not that good, could still be worth a try.  Install the printer on the computers, then move it to the HH, go back to the computers an set up an IP/TCP printer port (plenty of info on net how to do..IP address 192.168.1.253). It worked with 1 of my 5 printers OK, did strange things with the others (ie print 1 page the lockup). Would suggest you try it wilth the computer the printer is already connected to and if it works then try the others. If you do succeed then you will loose the use of the scaner on the printer.

Since you already (sort of) use one computer as a server (e-mailing prints) it would make more sence to share the printer over the network.

Zwilnik 

0 Ratings