cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xreyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Can I find out if I am connected to a street cab?

Hi, 

My local exchange is due to be ready for BT Infinity by the 31st Dec, however, I live very close to the exchange (it's at the end of my road) and have been told that some people who live near the exchanges are directly connected to the exchange, rather than a street cabinet. Due to this, people in this situation will not receive BT Infinity. 

Is there anyway I can find out if I am connected to a street cab, or directly the exchange?

Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Can I find out if I am connected to a street cab?

have you tried the BT checker to see if infinity is available on your phone line?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
xreyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

I have tried a couple of postcodes from the surrounding area (I'm not on a BT phone line) and all of them say BT infinity is not due to be rolled out in the area. Samknows and BT's own list say 31st Dec (there will probably be a 2 week or so delay due to the snow we've had here). I've also seen them upgrading a couple of cabs not far from here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

there has been quite a few post on the forum recently of people saying their exchange was scheduled for dec 2010 but that has now been put back to mar 2011 or even later.  will your existing ISP not have the information about your connection - connected to exchange or nor?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
xreyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

That's a good idea, I'll contact my current ISP. 

Well I know the 21CN network upgrade is planned for around march, but FTTC was planned for Dec 2010, and BT's lists or SamKnows hasn't updated, however, I haven't tried contacting BT.

0 Ratings
xreyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

I spoke to my current ISP, and they can't tell me whether I am connected through a cabinet or to the exchange, anything else I can try?

0 Ratings
Garfield
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

With my recent problems, I had the engineer out, he told me i was DIRECTLY connected to the exchange (could throw a stone at it) and informed me that I would be getting the best speeds out of it when upgraded, unlike some close places who will still be going through cabinets

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

so looks like you will max speed for 21CN but cannot get infinity as you are connected to the exchange and not a cabinet

0 Ratings
xreyuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Is there any other way I can find out? What about if I rang BT, would they be able to tell me?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

don't think so as it will be BT openreach or wholesale who have the answer and not bt retail and as your phone is not with BT then they are not entitled to that personal confidential information.  only your ISP asking openreach/wholesale will be able to get the answer

0 Ratings