cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 29

Re: Can I get Infinity ?

'That's nuts. All they need to do is run a line down 5 poles to the next house (on Bordon Exchange) and splice in. it's like a 500 metre cable run. I've done longer than that inside buildings using twisted pair.'

500 metre run between 5 poles, they won't be able to because the maximum cable length allowed between two poles is 64 metres for a drop wire 11.

So by my calculations you would need to pay Openreach to install another 3 Poles along that 500 metre route.

Also there is no guarantee on the last pole connected to the Exchange with FTTC has any spares on the DP, all the lines may have workers on them in which case you would also need to pay Openreach to run another 10 or 20 pair from the PCP to the pole with the DP and fix a new 10 or 20 pair block onto it, depending on what cable they used.

So really you need to ask what's more important to you;

The house you want to buy or having 'Superfast Broadband'?

If its the house buy it, if its the Superfast Broadband don't buy it and instead buy a house that is supplied by a FTTC/P line.

Guru
Guru
Message 12 of 29

Hi Ratty2012,

I was seeing if the OP had tried entering the address into the BT Wholesale Database here : http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput as it will tell the OP what exchange it is connected to as well as what the property maybe able to get in terms of broadband. I know it's less accurate then the telephone number checker but it is also more accurate than the Postcode checker.

Accuracy of the BT Wholesale database (from lowest to most accurate)

Postcode checker >> Address Checker >> Telephone Number Checker

If the relational database has been setup then the address checker should also be able to pick up which cabinet the line is connected to (but may not be as accurate in certain circumstances compared to the number checker)

cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 29

@jac_95 wrote:

Hi Ratty2012,

I was seeing if the OP had tried entering the address into the BT Wholesale Database here : http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput as it will tell the OP what exchange it is connected to as well as what the property maybe able to get in terms of broadband. I know it's less accurate then the telephone number checker but it is also more accurate than the Postcode checker.

Accuracy of the BT Wholesale database (from lowest to most accurate)

Postcode checker >> Address Checker >> Telephone Number Checker

If the relational database has been setup then the address checker should also be able to pick up which cabinet the line is connected to (but may not be as accurate in certain circumstances compared to the number checker)

cheers

The Address checker is mostly pointless as it looks at the postcode anyway.

0 Ratings
ukdaasfan
Beginner
Message 14 of 29

@Plainview

NOt about what is more important. I work from home. Without decent broabdband speeds I am unable to work and therefore unable to pay the mortgage.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 29

@ukdaasfan wrote:

@plainview

NOt about what is more important. I work from home. Without decent broabdband speeds I am unable to work and therefore unable to pay the mortgage.

It is a question that estate agents are getting now when showing people houses: Does it get highspeed broadband?

0 Ratings
ukdaasfan
Beginner
Message 16 of 29

Sadly I am yet to find a house I like that is in a area with decent Broadband I know have a choice of living somewhere I don't want so I can work or somewhere I do want but can't work. Even more annoying when there is  FTTC cabinest just around the corner. 

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 29

@ukdaasfan wrote:

Sadly I am yet to find a house I like that is in a area with decent Broadband I know have a choice of living somewhere I don't want so I can work or somewhere I do want but can't work. Even more annoying when there is  FTTC cabinest just around the corner. 

As you work from home, have you thought about moving outside the area you are looking at? That way it may give you more options

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 29

ukdaasfan wrote;

That answer solves this debate then, Superfast Broadband is most important to you, therefore don't buy the house and instead buy one that you know is serviced by a FTTC or better yet FTTP line.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 19 of 29

Hi

I have just done some digging round and the number you tried in the BT Wholesale database is registered as a Pub/Restaurant called Memsaheb Restaurant.

ukdaasfan it looks like your going to have to go digging round to find a property which has FTTC or FTTP/H as plainview has said.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 29

@jac_95 wrote:

Hi

I have just done some digging round and the number you tried in the BT Wholesale database is registered as a Pub/Restaurant called Memsaheb Restaurant.

ukdaasfan it looks like your going to have to go digging round to find a property which has FTTC or FTTP/H as plainview has said.

Cheers

I think we've all said it 🙂 lol