Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Can I get my IP Profile reset?

Go to solution

I am hoping someone can help!

We had problems on our home phone line, which have now been fixed by Openreach and were attributed to dodgy house wiring (although the house is only just over a year old).

Anyway, thats all been resolved, but for the last 5 days we have had REALLY slow broadband - in the region of 0.2MB downstream.   As per advice, I have duly waited 5 days for it to come back up (we usually get around 4.5MB) but it's still very very slow.

In reading the advice here it would seem like my IP Profile needs to be reset - how can I get this done?

Stats from BT Wholesale Speed Tester:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.28 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.28 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.17Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Many thanks for any help - this is driving us mad!!!

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Can I get my IP Profile reset?

Go to solution

need you to post the adsl stats from your router - the stats posted are from btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

photo.JPG

Ignore the connection time - it must have reset this itself - it has been up for 5 days solid prior to this.   Oh - and the fact that the Mrs seems to have been shopping for bags again on the other tabs!!! Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

your profile is not the problem it's your very low connection speed.  The low connection time could be a problem as it suggests your hub is resetting - being 'on' for 5 days is not what counts it is the internet connection time that counts.

are you connected to the master or better still the test socket?  do you have other sockets in other rooms?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone if possible

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks.

The Homehub was connected to the Internet (not just powered on) for at least 5 days before this reset has occurred.   It is connected to the master socket.   We have a new master Openreach socket inside the property now that the OpenReach engineer has been to fix the wiring.   Previously we had an external NTE, but he has bypassed this and cabled directly into the house.

I really do think this is an IP Profile issue, on the basis that up til now we have had a relatively good download speed (4.5MB) for the location of the property, and this has only occurred since the cabling fault.   My understanding is that the switch in the Exchange will auto-negotiate to a 'stable' speed, but in this case there seems to be no negotiating being done - we are just sat at a really low profile despite having been connected to the Internet for at least 5 days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

again this is nothing to do with IP profile which is 88.2% of your connection speed - so lower your connection speed the lower the profile not the other way round.  did the engineer fit a filtered faceplate - 2 sockets adsl and phone or just the standard NTE5?  if standard have you tried the test socket behind the bottom half?

0 Ratings
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

Its just standard NTE5, I haven't tried using the test socket.   I can guess your next advice Smiley Wink   I will try that this evening when I get home, and report back!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

can I ask you to connect to test socket with a filter and then post new adsl stats from the hub please

0 Ratings
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Ok, so it's been an interesting evening of testing.   Connecting to the test socket makes no difference to the broadband speed.   It has risen slightly since I originally posted but not by much.

I did however discover that the micro filter on the downstairs phone was completely missing!   Nobody will confess, however I have replaced it and can confirm all phones now have filters on them.

Connecting from any socket including the test socket now gives the following:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:01:24
Downstream:572 Kbps
Upstream:440 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):12.4 dB / 20.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):49.5 dB / 27.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):11 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
I would still suggest connecting the hub to the test socket and positing back the adsl stats then leaving the hub connected there for at least 3 days and see if the connection speed improves
0 Ratings