Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Can I get my IP Profile reset?

Go to solution

Thanks.   It seems madness that I'll have to wait another three days.   In all we've been without reliable broadband now for about 5 weeks.   I know it's not BT's fault, but its very frustrating having to just wait to see if it gets better!

Anyway, we're now on day one - no discernible change - still connected at about half a meg.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution
just stick at it
0 Ratings
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Day 2 and no change :-(.  Ironically I received an email fom BT today to tell me I have exceeded my 10GB download limit this month.   Just how on earth am I supposed to have managed that?!   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Hi just repost your hub stats after 3 days and if there is no change we can then put you in touch with the forum mods who can if needed reset your noise margin which will improve your speed but they need to see 3days + stable connection first

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Ok, so it's day three.   I eagerly logged into the router to see the stats, only to find that it has disconnected and reconnected at some point this morning, so I now don't have a solid three days.

The stats for what it's worth are:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 12:59:13
Downstream:572 Kbps
Upstream:755 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):12.9 dB / 9.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.0 dB / 28.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):43393 / 3118
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 16
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 25
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 14

I'm stuck for what to do now.   I am SO fed up with this.   We've not had broadband that's usable now for some weeks, and both myself and my other half work from home regularly.   We've not been able to use VPN at all into our work locations as it's simply too slow.   I am sorely tempted to move away from BT, but I'm not sure if other broadband providers would have the same issues - all I do know is that I have never had anything like this amount of trouble with any other broadband provider in the past - albeit that has been at other locations, BT is the only provider I have used in this house.

Can anyone please help?!   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution
Hi until you can maintain a stable connection your connection speed is not going to improve have you tried the quiet line test 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise at all if you do then it needs reporting to BT Faults on 151 but do not mention broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Hi.   Thanks for the prompt reply.   Are you ALWAYS here?!   Yes I have done a quiet line test.   It's perfectly quiet.   Are you saying there's absolutely nothing I can do then?   It seems ridiculous how we can have gone from about 4.5MB to 0.5MB and there's nothing can be done.   Something has to have changed to cause this, surely?   Will this same issue affect other providers if I moved from BT?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution
yes the issue would follow you are you still connected to the test socket ? ADSL2+ Is more noise aggressive than ADSL MAX and what was a good line foe max is not always a good line for adsl2+ without some additional work many problems can be within the home and this link may help you a little http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397 until your line stabilises there is no point in getting your noise margin reset as it will only rise again within a few days
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

Mark ... Your connection is running with a high level of noise margin .... which implies interference, and whether it's on the line or in the home, the connection won't improve unless you can find it, and alleviate it.

Firstly ... the quiet line test gives an indication of the line quality, and it's the first thing to do ... and properly.

You have to be sure, there's no crackle, hum or fizz, it destroys broadband.

Secondly ... when you are sure the line is ok, you need to look at placement of hub/router away from power sources, TV's, speakers and even your pc and monitor.

Those 2 places, the line and inthe home around the hub are the 2 places to get right ...

If the line has any noise BT will fix it for free, the other stuff is down to you.

If the hub is resetting on its own, it's line noise or burst noise that's causing it.

Some Qs:  Did you try the quiet line test multiple times, say 3 or 4 over a couple of hours, noise can be intermittent.

And especially if it rains.?

Are you in the test socket?

Did you check your cables and placement?

Frankly ... it's no use getting a line reset, if the cause of the problem is still there .... and the raised margin says it is.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Also Mark ...

To indicate to you how much difference interference makes .... in message 3 your connection was modulating ADSL2

and after you went into the test socket and after finding the missing filter and then making good it reconnected using

ADSL2+.

How many phone extension lines do you have? .... and is the hub connected to the MASTER socket?

0 Ratings