I am hoping someone can help!
We had problems on our home phone line, which have now been fixed by Openreach and were attributed to dodgy house wiring (although the house is only just over a year old).
Anyway, thats all been resolved, but for the last 5 days we have had REALLY slow broadband - in the region of 0.2MB downstream. As per advice, I have duly waited 5 days for it to come back up (we usually get around 4.5MB) but it's still very very slow.
In reading the advice here it would seem like my IP Profile needs to be reset - how can I get this done?
Stats from BT Wholesale Speed Tester:
| Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.28 Mbps|
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.28 Mbps
|Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.17Mbps|
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Many thanks for any help - this is driving us mad!!!
Solved! Go to Solution.
need you to post the adsl stats from your router - the stats posted are from btspeedtester
Ignore the connection time - it must have reset this itself - it has been up for 5 days solid prior to this. Oh - and the fact that the Mrs seems to have been shopping for bags again on the other tabs!!!
your profile is not the problem it's your very low connection speed. The low connection time could be a problem as it suggests your hub is resetting - being 'on' for 5 days is not what counts it is the internet connection time that counts.
are you connected to the master or better still the test socket? do you have other sockets in other rooms?
try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing and best with corded phone if possible
The Homehub was connected to the Internet (not just powered on) for at least 5 days before this reset has occurred. It is connected to the master socket. We have a new master Openreach socket inside the property now that the OpenReach engineer has been to fix the wiring. Previously we had an external NTE, but he has bypassed this and cabled directly into the house.
I really do think this is an IP Profile issue, on the basis that up til now we have had a relatively good download speed (4.5MB) for the location of the property, and this has only occurred since the cabling fault. My understanding is that the switch in the Exchange will auto-negotiate to a 'stable' speed, but in this case there seems to be no negotiating being done - we are just sat at a really low profile despite having been connected to the Internet for at least 5 days.
again this is nothing to do with IP profile which is 88.2% of your connection speed - so lower your connection speed the lower the profile not the other way round. did the engineer fit a filtered faceplate - 2 sockets adsl and phone or just the standard NTE5? if standard have you tried the test socket behind the bottom half?
Its just standard NTE5, I haven't tried using the test socket. I can guess your next advice I will try that this evening when I get home, and report back!
can I ask you to connect to test socket with a filter and then post new adsl stats from the hub please
Ok, so it's been an interesting evening of testing. Connecting to the test socket makes no difference to the broadband speed. It has risen slightly since I originally posted but not by much.
I did however discover that the micro filter on the downstairs phone was completely missing! Nobody will confess, however I have replaced it and can confirm all phones now have filters on them.
Connecting from any socket including the test socket now gives the following:
ADSL Line Status
|Connection time:||0 day, 00:01:24|
|Modulation:||G.992.5 Annex A|
|Noise margin (Down/Up):||12.4 dB / 20.2 dB|
|Line attenuation (Down/Up):||49.5 dB / 27.9 dB|
|Output power (Down/Up):||0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm|
|FEC Events (Down/Up):||11 / 0|
|CRC Events (Down/Up):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Power (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|
|Loss of Link (Remote):||0|
|HEC Errors (Down/Up):||0 / 0|
|Error Seconds (Local/Remote):||0 / 0|