cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Can I re-use a BT Home Hub

A couple of years ago I signed up and started using BT Infinity 2.  I was supplied with a BT Home Hub and configured this to act as ONLY a broadband modem, with it being connected to my excellent Netgear router.  I won't go into the specific configuration, but the setup has worked perfectly for two years.

A couple of months ago I cancelled BT and signed up as a new customer to take advantage of the new customer deals.  On Friday, my line and broadband will be connected and tomorrow I'm expecting delivery of a new BT Home Hub.

Even though I've not been using BT broadband for 3 weeks now, my old Hub is still plugged in and switched on, I just have no internet connection.

As this old hub is already configured and working, do I need to replace it with the new BT Home Hub that will be dellivered tomorrow?  Is there something built into the hub that identifies the telephone line/customer as I will have a new telephone number and a new customer contract.

Initially, I would prefer to just continue using the old Home Hub, but when I have time I would switch over to the new hub, which will need to be configured to work on my home network.

Will the old Home Hub work as it is?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I re-use a BT Home Hub

Hi,

I would leave things as they are seeing as you are happy with the existing set up.

You will probably get a Hub 6 and they seem to be somewhat problematic at the moment. So, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Just carry on as before, no need to change anything.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the quick responses.

Out of interest, how does the home hub identify my account to BT.  I don't recall seeing anything in the config, although it's been a while since I looked.  Just wondering if I need to change something on my existing home hub to ensure it will work on the "new" broadband connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@milleniumaire wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses.

Out of interest, how does the home hub identify my account to BT.  I don't recall seeing anything in the config, although it's been a while since I looked.  Just wondering if I need to change something on my existing home hub to ensure it will work on the "new" broadband connection.

The home hub doesn't identify your account at all. Logins are generic, your are authenticated by your phone number.

Being pedantic, your old hub is not acting purely as a modem, that is not possible with the hub (unless you have completely hacked it and replaced the firmware). The PPP session is still being handled by it rather than the Netgear.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

If you now have BT Infinity, only the home hub 5 and 6 will work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe The OP had Infinity 2 previously.

0 Ratings