cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Can I set a specific Broadband network IP address?

Go to solution

Hi all,

I want to be able to have the same public IP address I recently used (86.xxx.xx.xx).

When I go into the BT HH Manager and Disconnect then Reconnect the internet it gives me a new public IP.

The last 5 I was given are ; 86.147.126.98, 86.145.154.183, 86.145.129.79, 86.145.132.182, 86.145.130.116.

It's probably impossible for me to get the same IP by Disconnecting then Reconnecting my internet.

Is there any way I can force the Hub to give me the IP I want (as long as it isn't already in use)?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I set a specific Broadband network IP address?

Go to solution
That is because BT like many other ISP's use dynamic ip addresses and not static ones you can get a static ip address from BT but only if you are a business customer and you are prepared to pay more for it
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Cheers.

But other then being a business customer and paying for it there's no way I can get the IP back? 😞

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

BT dont offer static IP addresses on residential broadband packages and there is no way to force it I'm afraid. Seems like most ISPs are now going down the dynamic IP address route. You can use something along the lines of dyndns so you can always find your home network even through IP address changes. If you have money you could always look into a VPN of some sort but it depends on what you need, your budget and your ability/motivation to sort that sort of thing out.

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
No Bt only use dynamic ip address for domestic customers thereis no way you can get it back

Was there a reason youwanted a specific ip address
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

The easiest solution is to use a DDNS service. This gives you a host name which always points to your current IP address, even if it changes.

The BT home hub has built in support for a couple of these services, and works fine. I use DynDNS for my help website, but there are others.

Hedizaju
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

I'm not particularly savvy with IP addresses, but I have a heatmiser control device in my house that I can connet to remotely to change the temperature of rooms etc when I'm away from the house.

I need to have the Broadband Network IP address set within the App to be able to access this remotely when away from home. However, I have notice that this appears to chnage every now and again!

Can you adivse exactly how I should go about setting this so I can access my home network through the app when away from home?

Thank you

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I need to have the Broadband Network IP address set within the App to be able to access this remotely when away from home. 

Does it absolutely require and IP address, or will it accept a name instead.  Any good app should accept either, but ....

If it will accept a name do as Keith suggested.  Sign up with no-ip at http://www.noip.com/free.  Then go to your HomeHub web page, advanced settings/broadband settings/Dynamic DNS (details may differ a bit between HomeHub versions) and enter the details there.

You can then access the device form outside using the address yourname.no-ip.org

There are other similar services to no-ip:no-ip is one that is free and works with HomeHubs.

0 Ratings