cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mentally_rich
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Can I upgrade broadband without extending contract?

Go to solution

I spoke to someone on online chat about upgrading from infinity 1 to infinity 2. They told me I had to take an 18 month contract to do this and this was the only option. Is this true? I've only started a 12 month contract. I presume that would be converted to an 18 month contract and the 18 months wouldn't be added on Smiley Surprised

I changed my plan with my mobile provider and it didn't extend my contract. Surely you can do the same with BT?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can I upgrade broadband without extending contract?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I will ask a moderator to comment.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @mentally_rich,

If you're upgrade from BT Infinity to Infinity 2, it does mean that you will enter into a new contract. The new contract is usually 12 or 18 months. The new contract term doesn't get added onto your existing contract but starts afresh from the date that the upgrade order completes.

You can place the upgrade order yourself by using the link -  Upgrade your BT broadband

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Are you sure you need to upgrade to Infinity 2? Are you hitting the Infinity 1 cap?

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Anyway BT is in the process of uplifting speeds on Infinity 1 to be the same as the present Infinity 2 for those users who would benefit.

Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for the replies, I'll probably go ahead with it then. I'm on unlimited at the moment I just want the higher speed. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@mentally_rich wrote:

Thank you for the replies, I'll probably go ahead with it then. I'm on unlimited at the moment I just want the higher speed. 

I would check first, to make sure your line can support the extra speed, otherwise you would be wasting your money.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Unlimited usage isn't unlimited speed!

Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Anyway BT is in the process of uplifting speeds on Infinity 1 to be the same as the present Infinity 2 for those users who would benefit.

That is not entirely correct, there are exceptions which may apply to the OP according to the moderators post No. 106 in this thread 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Free-speed-upgrade-for-Infinity-1-customers...

Who's eligible?

We'll only upgrade existing Infinity1 customers who'll see a benefit in their speed. Some are already receiving the maximum speed that their line can support.

Who's not eligible?

There's been some confusion around who'll be getting the speed boost. Many BT Infinity 1 customers will receive a Speed Boost but here are details of who’s not eligible:

>Customers who are already receiving the maximum speed that their line can support, and who won't benefit from increased speed.

>New or re-contracting customers who take our Infinity product after 28 September.

>Infinity2 customers who call in to downgrade their service to Infinity 52mbps.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@gg30340: So only if OP took Infinity 1 after 28 Sept does it not apply.

Let's just see if OP can benefit from it 1st before nitpicking.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

You make a sweeping statement and when it is pointed out that it is not entirely correct you call it nitpicking. I call it factual but each to their own!