cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Springy1
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Can I use HG533 router instead of HH4

I am moving from TalkTalk copper broadband to BT copper broadband next week, awaiting delivery of HH4 router. As the TT HG533 router is in place and working fine, firmware ver 1.20t,  and it is using the same BT copper as my BT phone which is what the new BT BB will use I wonder if I can leave the HH4 in its box and continue to use the HG533 router, thus leaving all wireless settings and ethernet connections undisturbed. If this will work I'd like to know which settings in the HG533 I should change, I'm guessing it will include :

BB Username and pw

IP Addr WAN

IP addr default gateway

Pri DNS

Sec DNS    

So I'd like to know what values to use and any other settings to change on the HG533, or reasons why using the HG533 is not a good idea

Looking fwd to replies

Regards

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I use HG533 router instead of HH4

@Springy1 wrote:

I am moving from TalkTalk copper broadband to BT copper broadband next week, awaiting delivery of HH4 router. As the TT HG533 router is in place and working fine, firmware ver 1.20t,  and it is using the same BT copper as my BT phone which is what the new BT BB will use I wonder if I can leave the HH4 in its box and continue to use the HG533 router, thus leaving all wireless settings and ethernet connections undisturbed. If this will work I'd like to know which settings in the HG533 I should change, I'm guessing it will include :

BB Username and pw  homehub@btbroadband.com and BT

IP Addr WAN If you mean public address, that will be allocated dynamically by BT. If you mean address of router, leave as it is.

IP addr default gateway As above

Pri DNS You can use any public DNS servers or BT ones

Sec DNS    As above

So I'd like to know what values to use and any other settings to change on the HG533, or reasons why using the HG533 is not a good idea

Looking fwd to replies

Regards

0 Ratings
Springy1
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the info. In the end I decided to use the HH4 because I assumed that if I ever have problems the first thing I will be told to do is to use the supplied HH4. The switch over from TT to BT went fine but I used to get 6.7Mbps d/l and now I get only 5.4. Both speeds measured in the same way using speedtest.net. But when I look at the stats held on the HH4 I see d/s 6350, don't know why this is so much higher than the speedtest result. Maybe it's still early days and speed will get better but it's a bit disappointing at present. I may try re-using the HG533 in the future to see if this helps but will wait a while before doing this.

One other thing I noticed was that on the HG533 I assigned an address pool for DHCP usage and my devices got consecutively numbered IP addresses 192.168.1.10 then .11 etc but the IP addresses given out from the HH4 are non-consecutive  e.g 192.168.1.249 then .127 etc. 

Regards    

0 Ratings
Springy1
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Just to report back that after a few weeks using BT broadband and HH4 speed has slowly increased from 5.5 to 6.7 Mbps which is what I was getting before with TalkTalk, so thats ok.

One odd thing was that though TT emailed me telling me the amount of refund I was due I actually had to login to my TT account and request that it got paid to me.  Never gave me that option when it was me that owed them money!.  

0 Ratings