cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterjacobs62
Beginner
Message 1 of 68

Can I use separate modem with new BT Smart Hub?

Go to solution

I just received new Smart Hub to replace my old Home Hub 2 which had a separate modem.  The Home Hub 2 was connected to the modem via ethernet which meant the modem could be in the study in the corner of the house where the master phone socket came in, whilist the Home Hub was in the middle of the house where I get wifi range and where all of my ethernet connections (for Sonos, amplifiers etc) originate from.  

I would like the Smart Hub in the same place as the Home Hub was, ie. in the middle of the house, but it has an integrated modem and there is no phone connection there.  So:

1. can I disable the internal modem in the Smart Hub and connect it via ethernet to the old modem by the master phone socket in the study as before? or

2. use some sort of adaptor to connect the phone socket in the study via the ethernet to the phone port in the Smart Hub in the middle of the house? or

3. do I have to accept that the Smart Hub has to live in the study and I need to buy some sort of combined wifi extender and ethernet switch in the middle of the house?!

Help please!

0 Ratings
67 REPLIES 67
DavidM
Message 2 of 68

Re: Can I use separate modem with new BT Smart Hub?

Go to solution

HI @peterjacobs62 and welcome.

The Smart Hub has an improved wireless connection so should be sufficint for your needs. You can always try Wi-Fi extenders if needed.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
peterjacobs62
Beginner
Message 3 of 68

Go to solution

No, the Smart Hub in study covers barely half the house.  Is it not possible to use it with separate modem?

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 68

Go to solution

Hi @peterjacobs62,

Thanks for posting. The hub has a modem inbuilt and we wouldn't recommend disabling it and wouldn't support using a seperate modem. Your best bet would be to use extenders if you're having wifi problems.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 68

Go to solution

Surely the smart hub has a WAN port, or a LAN port that can be configured as a WAN?

0 Ratings
peterjacobs62
Beginner
Message 6 of 68

Go to solution
Smart Hub has 4 Ethernet ports so I could use my Cat6 network to use wifi extender but I also need at least 4 ethernet ports with this. Is there a wifi extender with multiple ethernet ports which is compatible and will retain all of the functionality of the BT Smart Hub?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 68

Go to solution

Have you investigated if one of the Ethernet ports on the smart hub can be configured as a WAN port? If it can, you can just connect to the modem as before. Just because BT don't 'support' that configuration, it doesn't mean it is not possible. A simple ethernet switch could then be used to restore the number of Etehrnet ports required. Alternatively there are combined wifi extenders and ethernet switches available, the Edimax 7228Apn for one.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 68

Go to solution

It would appear Ethernet port  4 can be configured as a WAN port to connect to your modem.

0 Ratings
peterjacobs62
Beginner
Message 9 of 68

Go to solution
Thank you for this - how would I go about configuring in that way?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 68

Go to solution

Sorry, I'm afraid I've no idea, I haven't got a smart hub. I just noticed in this document it shows LAN port4 as a WAN port http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4774269/1466063702/redirect/1/filename/BT%20Smart%20Hub...

You will either need to see if there is anything in the manual or just poke around in the advanced network settings.

0 Ratings