cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Can 'New: ' Text Prepended in the Freeview Guide and Recorded Programs Be Removed?

Go to solution

I recently set up a Youview+ box that I recived as a gift, having for many years used, and been perfectly satisfied with a Humax PVR9200T. On the Humax box it is possible to rename recorded programs (i.e files), albeit using a very clunky interface, so that the extremely annoying 'New: ' text that is quite frequently prepended to a program name both in the Freeview Guide and in that of the filename can be removed. The reason for wating to do this is so that alphabetic sorting then works usefully.

Is there a way of doing this with a Youview+ box? If not then IMHO it's a major shortcoming.

A better solution would of course be for the Freeview Guide not to have this unfuriating tag, or failing that for the Youview+ box to get rid of it prior to display. Sadly I doubt that the Freeview Guide will cease the use of 'New: ', because when I complained to the BBC - though only one of several offending broadcasters - in March 2015 I received only this rather brief response which did not address my substantive point:

"The ‘New’ label will make the word ‘New’ appear in front of the title of programmes on the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) for the first time that they’re broadcast.

This is a feature on channels where there are a higher number of repeats, such as BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC and Cbeebies. If a new programme is repeated two or three times over the course of any evening on BBC Four, for example, it would only be applied to the very first airing."

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can 'New: ' Text Prepended in the Freeview Guide and Recorded Programs Be Removed?

Go to solution

No - YouView doesn't support this functionality. I don't see why this is a problem though.

I have another Humax box HDR-Fox-T2 that allows files to be renamed and copied onto a USB memory stick. Again this isn't something YouView supports.

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Re: Can 'New: ' Text Prepended in the Freeview Guide and Recorded Programs Be Removed?

Go to solution

Thanks for the information.

As to why I find it a problem I tried to explain this in my OP. Without a means of removing the prepended 'New: ' string at the start of a program name (i.e. a filename,) alphabetic sorting of recorded programes doesn't work satistfactorily. All program that have 'New: ' at the start of their name appear together, irrespective of what the program title is. For example instead of seeing 'Apples and Pears', then 'Beetroot', then 'Zoological Gardens', one might see 'Beetroot', 'New: Apples and Pears', 'New: Zoological Gardens'. The problem is that only programs considered to be New get tagged as 'New: ', though sometimes this is inconsistent even withing a linked series. If every program had the prepended text there wouldn't be a problem, at least with sorting. Humax enable a filename to be renamed so that one can remove 'New: ' and this would be nice on a Youview.

In fairness to Youview the fact that programs with a series link are stored in folders does help, though if New: is used inconsistently I doubt this will work. Also, as an aside I have however noticed that because the time of broadcast isn't shown on the Youview - only the date - the contents of folders are a bit awkward to use when, as BBC4 is prone to do, two episodes of a series-linked program are shown on the same day, typically in succession.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I think there is a more general problem here. I've just spent five minutes trying to find out if I was recording "the great human race" only to discover that for some reason they switched to calling it "human race' . The search function on the guide said I'd recorded it but I could not see it in the list of recordings. BT should tighten up on the accuracy of programme descriptions o at least give us a search function that  takes you to the programme in the list ? Or perhaps just make sure the episode numbers are there, how hard can that be ?they are presumably paying some one to enter this stuff in so they should make sure they do it correctly ! Currently I am still relying on the sky tv  guide on my iPad 😉

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

This is an interesting observation. I'm not an expert in ths field but I wonder whether the particular problem you've noted is with the BT youview+ box or with the people/broadcasters who have entered the data that finds its way into the Freeview program guide. Is there an inconsistency between what was listed in the guide and the name of the rceorded program?

I think I'm right in saying that the implementation of the Freeview program guide on any box has to conform to a standard and so the hands of the developers of the Youview+ box may have been tied. I don't think they could be blamed for the 'New: ' string that I was grumbling about, but the absence of functionality to mitigate its effects by allowing users to edit the filename of a recorded program is annoying. Aside from the 'New: ' problem, sometimes program names are displayed in a truncated form, and it would be useful to be able to append the missing text manually. Also there is sometimes more or less superfluous text at the front, a good example being that Horizon programs are always named in the form 'Horizon: <Long Title of Program Much of Which is Invisible>'.

One of the selling points of the Youview+ is the number of hours of recorded programs that can be stored. This is good, but an effective means of organising a large number of hours of recorded programs is essential if the capability is to be usable.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I know what you mean my foxsat box let's you rename and even archive files on to an external USB disk. The aim of boxes such as sky and you view is to keep things as simple as possible and provide a polished service. The orignal  humax boxes were aimed at propellerheads who we were prepared to take the time to sort this stuff out IMHO.

It's also to do with who owns the content, originally you would've been recording it to your disk to keep a  like on a VHS tape. however now you are paying a monthly recurring  payment to have access to the content which is a totally different business model. I'm in the same boat, I've got 2TB of stuff, a lot of it  which I might watch one day or might not.

The future is a bit fully online services such as Netflix where they benefit from the long tail effect of having massive easily searchable huge archives since there is little extra cost in keeping content which relatively few people wish to consume.

apologies my iPad is not letting me edit the typos in this post!

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I agree with what you've written. Early Humax boxes certainly have some very useful power features on them that I imagine most people wouldn't wish to find out about. Those parts of the user interface are a bit clunky, but that's a small price to pay. You imply that later Humax boxes don't have such functionality, and if this is so it's a pity. Sadly technology tends to get dumbed down as it becomes ubiquitous.

You make an excellent point about content ownership, which is one that I hadn't thought of, perhaps because I'm not paying a subscription. As I mentioned this box was a gift and I'll only be using it for recording and the occasional viewing of free content over broadband using the iPlayer or something similar. In some respects I'd have preferred an updated Humax though I don't think the players are installed on it and they are occasionally useful.

Typos forgiven by the way: I use an old desktop computer but still manage to introduce plenty of my own.

0 Ratings