Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mortster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Can a moderator please help me out

Hi,

I have had an outstanding support case with the BT Infinity helpdesk for a few weeks now. In summary I have been on the 40/10Mb/s package for a number of years and always had good speeds until just around xmas time, when I have been seeing my download speed drop to about 3 to 8Mb/s from around 8pm to anytime close to midnight (upload speeds remain fine throughout and at all other times during the day speeds were fine at around 35Mb/s).

In light of these issues I decided to recontract for 12 months to the 70/20Mb/s 'totally unlimited' package. My thinking was that maybe BT employed traffic shaping/management on older contracts, and by moving onto the definetly non managed totally unlimited package I would be OK.

So I installed the new HH5 keeping the seperate Openreach VDSL modem, and found the problem still to be the same, so I then connected directly to the VDSL modem located on the HH5 and still get the same problem.

I escalated this through the first line telephone support desk, and eventually had a visit from an Openreach engineer, who stated that he did find errors on my line, which he claimed to fix, and then ran a 10 minute test with his handheld device, and then showed me that I had no further errors. That evening I had the same speed issue as before.

My line stats never change from looking at the HH5, with the noise margin remaining around 6.2, and my sync speeds always sitting on 50Mb/s downstream and around 15Mb/s upstream.

Please can a moderator now help me out, I can provide the BT reference number for this call, because I cannot cope with having to relay all this information past the first line helpdesk again.

Thanks

Simon.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can a moderator please help me out

What exchange are you on. If you have a search through the forum you will see that there are a number of threads with the same problem, some of which appear to be down to over capacity issues at the exchanges. It may well be that you are suffering from the same and there is little that can be done until BT/Openreach increase capacity.

0 Ratings
mortster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, I am on St. Peters exchange in Worcester . I have not seen anyone else report a problem with this exchange. Only another user on here who lives in Worcester, but is connected to a different exchange I would assume. I have also used the Zen Internet exchange maintenance checker and cannot find any known issues or planned maintenance.
0 Ratings
aczarkowski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Welcome to the club. I am having the same issue as you are reporting (sometimes my download speed goes down to 3Mbps where normally it would be over 50Mbps). When did you start experiencing it? In my case I noticed it about a month ago. I had BT Infinity option 2 since May 2012 so I also believe that I would have traffic shaping on my connection since it was pre February 2013 contract. I did recontracted at the end of January this year, so now I should be totally unlimited. I got brand new HH5 as well. I was using Draytek 2750n before, but I run some tests with their white box as well. Every time I would be having the same problem as you are reporting. 

I already reported the problem 3 times and now I am waiting for their call tomorrow evening. I will let you know how it goes.

Andrzej

0 Ratings
aczarkowski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Btw. My exchange is LWCOL Colindale. From my research I am connected through cabinet 43. I don't know if there is any way to check whether exchange is over capacity.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 10

Try here http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

and here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
mortster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for info aczarkowski. My situation is pretty much exactly the same as yours. I noticied it just over a month ago. So decided to recontract in case it was peak hours traffic management, but nothing has resolved it. I am also in touch with another chap on here who is getting problems with the same local BT exchange, so we are either both stuck on a traffic management plan or most likely we have an exchange capacity issue.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

bt do not use traffic management
0 Ratings
mortster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thanks, just to confirm this is a problem with general overall download speed and not just limited to P2P protocols, which I do not ever use anyway. I think I read that BT Infinity contracts started pre-Feb 2013 could be traffic managed. Which is one of the reasons why I decided to recontract a month ago.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

the traffic managed prior to feb 2013 is p2p not because of amount of data downloaded

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings