cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lakerisers
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Can anyone explain this!!!!

Posted a problem on here regarding very low line speed.

Rebooted HH3 and the line rate was still at 1.5M with a noise margin of 20db and line attenuation of 35db.

Decided to plug in the old HH2 (which BT said was faulty) and my line rate has gone back up to 5.3M and the noise Margin is 12db and Line Attentuation is 32db.

I am at the point of giving up with the BT HH's and moving to something more reliable but would like to know why this is happening.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can anyone explain this!!!!

Simple answer is, different routers will perform differently on different lines, and display slightly different figures, not much that can be done about it Im afraid, which ever one you find best, just stick with it. :).

0 Ratings
lakerisers
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Sorry but find it hard to belive that there can be a 4M difference on line speed depending on Router used.  I can accept a difference possibly on noise and attenuation but not line rate.

Also since changing back to HH2 all my streaming now works and i can access home sharing via the iphone and itunes - HH3 obviously bars this somehow

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

HH3 has the stupid 'Smart Wireless' which doesn't really work, and also if you look your noise margin dropped by 8dB hence the speed increase.
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Would you mind putting up HH2 stats, for me you are borderline line issue, a variation of 3+ attenuation, in my experience suggests a fault!

*edit* somewhere!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
lakerisers
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Stats as requested

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:13:41
Downstream5,280 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.9 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)32.0 dB / 18.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm

I'm not convinced it's a line fault but more something in the exchange, but have already arranged to have BB moved to another fixed line on Friday to see.

If all goes well then great - If not then back to square one

0 Ratings
lakerisers
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

but remember Line Noise is as it says "Noise on the line" - Router should not make that much difference

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Line Noise is different from Noise Margin, that is basically how much spare signal there is, and it will use that spare signal to try and stabilise the speed.

Line Attenuation is basically like shouting from the exchange. For instance someone who is closer to the exchange wouldn't have to shout as loud to hear themselves. Whereas someone further from the exchange would have to shout louder, hence more noise and also hence the higher figure.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Hi it is your attenuation and noise margin that affect your connection speed you could have a Fault on the socket you have your hub plugged into if it is the master socket then i suggest you try the test socket and see if the stats are the same then that will prove if the hub has a fault or not
0 Ratings