cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
weltysparrow
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Can anyone help me figure this out??? (exchange/cabinet related)

Hi, thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this to me, I'll try and explain step by step:

• My local exchange has been upgraded to infinity. (Eastbourne)
  • When I punch in my postcode (don't have a BT number as I'm with Sky at the moment) it says not available.
  • I've run my postcode through a different cabinet checker here CABINET CHECK BN21 1HF - and it says "part of deployment" though this data is months old.
  • When I run the checker with CABINET CHECK BN21 1EY it is on the same cabinet.
  • I checked that postcode on the BT infinity checker and they are able to get infinity - but I'm not??

Does this mean it's not coming to my flat? I'm in a block of flats but most of the other properties on the road are houses. The block of flats next door (BN21 1HJ) is also unable to get infinity.

This is infuriating! 50m down the road can get it and my mate 150m up the road can but not me!!

http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=BN211ey

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Can anyone help me figure this out??? (exchange/cabinet related)

you could ask if any of your neighbours have a BT line and enter there phone number into the checker the cost code check is only approximate also try the official checker
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput the checker you have used is based on data that is now 8 months + out of date and is not an official site
weltysparrow
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'll try and get a number off a neighbour later.

I have phoned BT and they confirmed that it's not yet available at my flat and played the plausable deniability card ("we are BT retail, we don't have info on when cabinets will be enabled. Openreach is a separate company and they don't talk to the public". Great setup for minimising the time spent answering questions, just claim that the information isn't available when someone clearly has it!)

This is starting to annoy me now as I have been waiting for months and am stuck waiting in limbo to make a decision on my broadband - I don't want to commit to a contract if I'm just about to get access to infinity - but if infinity isn't coming then I might as well go and get a better deal!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

you can blame OFCOM for that Openreach are required to provide a equal service to all providers they can not show any higher level of service to BT retail this link explains a little more http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Ourcompany/Groupbusinesses/Openreach/index.htm
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

'I have phoned BT and they confirmed that it's not yet available at my flat and played the plausable deniability card ("we are BT retail, we don't have info on when cabinets will be enabled.'

Trust me BT Retail are not privy to what PCP's Openreach plan to enable when an Exchange is scheduled for upgrade. For some unknown reason the PCP listed to be upgraded appears to be an extremely guarded secret that only a small handful of unobtainable people seem to know.

Not even Openreach Engineers themselves are notified of what PCP's are to be done.

0 Ratings
weltysparrow
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying BT retail know the information.

I'm saying the process has been set up in a way that intentionally leaves everyone in the dark. It means that rather than having constant calls back and forth between BT retail and BT openreach with irate protential customers asking "when is it my turn", they can just deny all knowledge.

It's a poor way to do business and they only get away with it because they have a monopoly position.

As I said in my previous post it leaves me in limbo and what's most frustrating is that the information that would make my decision simple is out there but we are being denied access to it.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

'I'm saying the process has been set up in a way that intentionally leaves everyone in the dark. It means that rather than having constant calls back and forth between BT retail and BT openreach with irate protential customers asking "when is it my turn", they can just deny all knowledge.'

What?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

BT Retail do not have a monopoly they are just a communications provider the same as all other providers
Openreach offer fibre to all ISP's as soon as a cabinet goes live
Openreach are carrying out the fibre rollout for all providers not just BT Retail 

0 Ratings
weltysparrow
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

@Plainview

I thought it was pretty clear but there you go, I'll try again:

• The rollout process leaves potential customers in the dark.
  • BT retail talk to the public but can't talk to Openreach.
  • Openreach have the information but don't talk to the pbulic.
  • BT Retail and Openreach are owned by the same company, there is no reason information couldn't be shared between them.
  • This is catch 22.
  • My conspiracy theory (!) is that this is done on purpose as if BT retail were able to obtain the information from Openreach the call volume of people phoning up to ask when they will be activated would be enormous. Openreach would have to hire large amounts of people to answer the constant requests from BT retail.
  • Thus it easier for BT retail to just blanket deny they can get the information.

It's either deliberate or it's just poor communication between two related companies (which is not very encouraging considering the industry they're in).

Lastly, this means that any potential customers who are awaiting BT infinity but may be out of contract on their current ADSL plan (like me) are stuck.

• You could wait for infiity and stick with your DSL at a price that may not the best deal available or,
  • you could switch DSL provider for a better deal and wake up tomorrow with infinity available but you are now stuck in a contract for a year!

All the while the information is known by Openreach (I don't mean they know day and date for certain but certainly have better information than we do) and we are being kept in the dark.

0 Ratings
weltysparrow
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

@John 46

"BT Retail do not have a monopoly"

Sorry I should have been more clear:

BT group have a near monopoly on infrastructure in Britain and thus they have no incentive to be transparent about the rollout as there is no competition.

The information given is vague and is prone to enormous adjustments - I've been pushed bak several times now and even though my exchange has been upgraded I still have no idea at all when the cabinet will be done.

Just to emphasize I'm not the only person out there who thinks this:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/06/13/why-doesnt-bt-come-clean-over-fibre-cabinet-notspots/

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/371650/bt-map-reveals-fibre-broadband-locations

(edit: When I say thinks this, I meant the general point that more info should be shared by BT)

0 Ratings